Karak

Help! Dark brown dye became black. Ruined saddle.

I dyed one of my best saddles with fiebings pro dye dark brown, and it turned almost black. I’m so sad and it looks hideous. Is there any way to lighten, bleach it or take the dye out? I would love to save it ❤️❤️❤️ 

O'h dear !!  Have you got any pics? 

Also, did you try dying in an inconspicuous spot before dying the whole thing? 

Um....??  I would think that what ever you try might make it worse  .Usually once dye goes on, it stays on...sorry. I have to tried ' lighten' dye on the occasional project in the past,  only for it to being completely dyed black ( to hide the mess)  .....or  it ends up in the bin. 

Any saddlers on here that may be able to help? 

Welcome to the forum btw :)  , not the nicest of starts for you though.

HS

You might try a water and oxalic acid mix.......  not sure how it works with dyes.  

Did you not try acetone? What about isopropyl alcohol? Those should remove the dye. Try to also remove it on the underside of the leather if you can. I don't see how that wouldn't work using acetone? The reason why it came out so dark is because you used too many layers of dye I found the most consistent way is just to use a paper towel or some kind of cotton t-shirt and rub it on using a circular motion and do it quick so you can get the whole layer on evenly. Your last ditch effort can be acrylic paint by Angelus, specifically made for leather. You could also use airbrush  acrylic paint it should say for the leather shoes