ArwynOrion

How is this color of leather created?

How can I achieve this redish/orange hue in the picture below? The book under my coaster is Sheridan Style Carving by Bob Likewise for reference. As you can see in the picture, my leather tends to take a pale brown color. My process for the coaster was a light coat of neatsfoot oil, then tan-kote, then antique paste followed by another round of tan-kote. Is this redish hue achieved due to quality of leather or am I making some kind of mistake? The book describes using neatlac as the resist, will that change the look versus tan-kote as a resist?

eVQwOjB.jpg

Looks a bit like British Tan to me.  Remember lighting and photography have a lot to do with the final look.  The book I have doesn't seem to be quite so faded in color, could reasonably be Sheridan Brown.

YinTx

Sheridan brown antique will get you that color, I usually use it without a resist because it gives the leather exactly that color, its got a slight mahogany coloration, here is what you get with no resist and antique on wickett and craig leather

20200808_190036.jpg

Edited by DustinSmith
Added photo

Here is tan antique with no resist

20210202_191734.jpg

I have some of the saddle tan gel antique that gets me real close to that orangey sorta reddish color from the cover of the book. All depends on the leather too, if its that super pale European stuff from Tandy vs the more russet colored on HO, you get completely different shades.

Thanks for all the info everyone.  I was not aware of how much the antique paste was affecting the color process.  I have dark brown and mahogany antique paste, but no Sheridan brown.  I will have to order some and see how it turns out for me.  I am also curious to see what mixing mahogany and dark brown antique paste will come out with.  The cordovan color antique paste also looks interesting.

Good luck and post pics!

Rumor has it that Sheridan is brown and mahogany.  Mix and match to get your own shade!  That rumor might actually be in the book you hold, if I recall, if not it is on this site somewheres also.

YinTx

2 hours ago, DustinSmith said:

here is what you get with no resist and antique on wickett and craig leather

Definitely leather type has a lot to do with it.  and nice strap, btw!

YinTx

12 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Definitely leather type has a lot to do with it.

Thanks! I find that Wickett and craig has smaller pores and a smoother surface so the antique won't darken it as much and with the larger pores of hermann oak it tends to grab more antique thus making it darker