Cowboyleatherman

Who manufacturers Carrage hand Sewing Thread?

I am doing a research article for Carriage Hand sewing thread. I was recently told it is manufactured in China. I have been looking in several areas including Tandy Leather for the manufacturer information. But can't find anything. Please help.  

2 hours ago, Cowboyleatherman said:

I am doing a research article for Carriage Hand sewing thread. I was recently told it is manufactured in China. I have been looking in several areas including Tandy Leather for the manufacturer information. But can't find anything. Please help.  

Since the thread is sold by (and perhaps made for?) Tandy Leather, perhaps you could get that information directly from Tandy (not your local store, but headquarters). Have you tried emailing them and asking?

2 hours ago, DJole said:

Since the thread is sold by (and perhaps made for?) Tandy Leather, perhaps you could get that information directly from Tandy (not your local store, but headquarters). Have you tried emailing them and asking?

The product is a Chinese made product. I called Tandy Leather and that is what they said. They could only tell me where the manufacturers were from China. I have dealt with big manufacturers and they don't sell to people unless it is purchased in bulk. On the internet, I've searched now for close to six hours trying to find Chinese manufacturers and only found a couple of just thread manufacturers. But not anything. Some companies have policies that they can give you information about the product but some worry about giving too much information on their packaging. As it would hurt their competition to sell to smaller businesses. But they were very frank and honest and even they did not have that information at hand. They just said it was from China. I researched it before and I looked for the info on the packaging, I even suggested looking at the packaging again and they said that is probably what I should do too. My other angle is to do a search asking Chinese leather workers about the thread. I thought of looking at Chinese sellers of Pricking Irons and went at this angle, but when I searched, I only found one that I knew and their thread was not a carriage thread. It was different. 

I heard a rumor that the Tandy Carriage thread is OEMed through Amy Roke.  Several Redditors swear that the Tandy Hemp Carriage is exactly the same as Amy Roke Linen down to the bobbin and wrapper. 
But you know what they say about rumors. 

2 hours ago, Cowboyleatherman said:

They just said it was from China. I researched it before and I looked for the info on the packaging, I even suggested looking at the packaging again and they said that is probably what I should do too.

I'm intrigued. Why is the source of this thread so important?

12 hours ago, Webicons said:

I heard a rumor that the Tandy Carriage thread is OEMed through Amy Roke.  Several Redditors swear that the Tandy Hemp Carriage is exactly the same as Amy Roke Linen down to the bobbin and wrapper. 
But you know what they say about rumors. 

I don't really know about Amy Roke except her Pricking Irons. But I would have to research that myself, not that I think its a farce or anything. 

11 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I'm intrigued. Why is the source of this thread so important?

I have a background on spinning and history of textile, and I also know threads pretty well. But that does not say I am an expert. Carriage thread is unique in its fibers and is not like anything close to linen. Because the tensile strength outlasts that of other types of linen threads it should be no surprise that people should in my opinion be flocking to it. But because of its high price and origin I think people are just getting to understand how good it is. And it is gaining some popularity because Cannibus, which I don't care for is becoming more popular and mainstream. 

Photo of Tandy Carriage thread and Amy Roke Linen thread.  If I had a length of each in the same color (white) I could run them through a IR spectrophotometer to see if there are any differences/similarities. 

2978BF61-72E9-4190-99FC-A8A6E7AC2A3E.jpeg

3BAA9B48-071D-474D-8DA3-AAFBB7B97F19.jpeg

On 2/4/2021 at 8:45 AM, Webicons said:

Photo of Tandy Carriage thread and Amy Roke Linen thread.  If I had a length of each in the same color (white) I could run them through a IR spectrophotometer to see if there are any differences/similarities. 

2978BF61-72E9-4190-99FC-A8A6E7AC2A3E.jpeg

3BAA9B48-071D-474D-8DA3-AAFBB7B97F19.jpeg

I am getting the feeling that some people are thinking that these two threads are the same thing. As I have worked in manufacturing, I know first hand what it means to copy a line of processing looks for a specific product. This means if a person from the UK is making a bobbin with a thread that looks similar to that of a other product, that just means that it is copying the look for the sellers market. Allot of companies purchase their bobbins from specific manufacturers to be mainstream with the look. If I wanted to right now, I could go to a bobbin company and probably purchase those same things. But companies also source from same label makers too. 

Linen is different from Hemp. The scientific research done already testifies of that.  Its , because of the processing, and other things related to it that makes it difficult to process, most thread companies deal with synthetics and linen thread because it is more abundantly used in mainstream, and the most likely unassociated with criminal activity and smaller distributors. 

If you compare a thread look you will never get anywhere, but I would agree with the strength lays with, fibers, tensile strength, manufacture processing, testing, and verification. 

Threads that are used in finer work call for greater strength in the smaller thread. Allot of people are going for the natural fiber and preferr it because it is more important for the ecosystem. 

In the market for certain threads is highly competitive. They probably decided to go with company to produce this thread because it was willing to produce the production under cover from other major manufacturers without harm of driving them out of production. It's only my guess. 

Edited by Cowboyleatherman

personally, I like the carriage thread if for nothing else than the fact that it has a high strength { 4 times stronger than linen} that would be 100 lb breaking strength as opposed to 25 lb. I have tried the same thing. to find the mfg. I have bought quite a few spools of it, but get kinda fustrated with Tandys , what would you call it? their sorting system? they get something good but don't realize it? so start getting rid of it or down sizing what they carry of the product. back to the thread, I think this is something opposed to thread in particular.  Has Tandy totally dropped carriage thread? didn't see it in their new cataloge. If you get any more info on this or can track down the Mfg. I would love to know.

Realistically what good is finding the manufacturer, they will only be interested in supplying the thread on large quantities to a large distributer, they no doubt will also have a agreement with Tandy to not offer it to competing firms

4 hours ago, chrisash said:

Realistically what good is finding the manufacturer, they will only be interested in supplying the thread on large quantities to a large distributer, they no doubt will also have a agreement with Tandy to not offer it to competing firms

Good point, as a person who sells custom made leather goods, its good business to know who is who and quality. If I make a product and I know the product is well worth it, I want others to know about it. And if I can work with it I want others to know about it. Why be selfish. 

7 hours ago, OLESKIVER said:

Has Tandy totally dropped carriage thread? didn't see it in their new cataloge. If you get any more info on this or can track down the Mfg. I would love to know.

Tandy still sells it. Its on their website. 

Edited by Cowboyleatherman

On 2/4/2021 at 7:00 AM, Cowboyleatherman said:

I don't really know about Amy Roke except her Pricking Irons. But I would have to research that myself, not that I think its a farce or anything. 

I researched it, labeling and bobbins are the same, its just the look. 

thanx cowboyleatherma , I saw it on their website. will have to check with my local store and see if they can special order me some .8 in turquoise in a 500m spool. would be willing to get a case of it if there are only 4 spools to a box or case. Tried Weaver on tiger thread but the girl I talked to didn't seem that informed on the product. I am reluctant to try rhino brand from SLC. Well, I will persue the carriage thread as far as I can, or have the patience for, lol. 

24 minutes ago, Brigg said:

Interesting product. Too bad they don't make it any finer than .55mm.

that would be nice.. i have several spools of .55 that i got on clearance from tandy and i wish it was thinner so i could get more use out of it.

On 2/14/2021 at 1:52 PM, OLESKIVER said:

thanx cowboyleatherma , I saw it on their website. will have to check with my local store and see if they can special order me some .8 in turquoise in a 500m spool. would be willing to get a case of it if there are only 4 spools to a box or case. Tried Weaver on tiger thread but the girl I talked to didn't seem that informed on the product. I am reluctant to try rhino brand from SLC. Well, I will persue the carriage thread as far as I can, or have the patience for, lol. 

Rhino thread from SLC is very cheap.  I think I paid $9.99 for a spool.  Not a big deal to test it out.  Personally, it wasn't what I was hoping for.  It seems to have a very "loose" weave, something I don't particularly care for, but YMMV.

the only thinner thread that I know of is c.s.osborne, they have light, med. and heavy. the heavy is .55 the only draw back is they only sell it by the hank [24 individual threads, in two lengths and 4 colors. light is .040, med. is .045. pre-waxed. hope this helps.