Hi

I am planning to try out water based dyes. I do not want to continue with fiebings pro oil dye, It just isnt my taste, especially after I apply the Resolene afterwards which makes the entire project look syntethic so I am leaving Resolene as well. 

Now my procedure is going to look like the following: 

* I dye the project and let it dry

* I apply neatfootsoil and let it dry

* I condition the leather (is this required if the neatfootsoil is applied in previous step?)

* Now...How do I finish the leather? Since I dont want to use Resolene I am thinking of a good quality leather wax. Any recommendations? I have heard water based dyes have more rub off then oil based dyes and since I live in a rainy climate I would really want to use a good wax that seals and makes the leather shine, rather no darkening since neatfootsoil already darkens the leather. 

I've had some bad, bad experiences with water-based dyes -- if your project gets wet, the dye will run immediately, and I wouldn't trust any sealant to 100% keep water out. Especially if you're going for a more natural look with oils and balms instead of a synthetic topcoat -- there's absolutely nothing keeping the water out, and your water-based dye is going to bleed like crazy if it ever gets wet.

That said, I completely agree with your dislike of oil dyes, but instead of going to water-based dyes, might I recommend a straight alcohol dye? I'm given to understand that the Fiebings (not pro) dye is alcohol-no-oil, or if you've lost faith with Fiebings, you could use what I use, which is Angelus dyes. They give you vivid, waterproof color, so even if moisture manages to penetrate your sealant layer (or if you're conditioning the leather rather than sealing it) the dye is guaranteed not to run.

As for the clear topcoat, I do use resolene, but only ever mixed 50/50 with water -- you have to apply multiple coats to get it water-resistant (until the leather stops darkening with subsequent applications), but it goes on thinner and more flexible, and is less plasticky when it dries. If you've got any resolene still kicking around, you might try that and see what you think of it.

Edited by Gabriel Rasa