BeltBro

What leather do you use for belts?

I’m getting ready to start making belts. I have looked at numerous leathers still have not found exactly what I’m looking for. Money is not as much of a concern as quality. I want a single ply belt in the 9 ounce range that is super smooth on the back, scratch resistant, and won’t crack when bent. What leather do you use?

I tried splenda BOM leather; it was everything I wanted except for the fact that it cracked when bent. I feel like there has to be something that meets these qualities. 

English bridle

From what tannery? (Unless that’s a trade secret :yes:)

I have tried some English bridle, but I haven’t found one with a smooth or soft flesh. They’re all kinda half finished/half strings. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VHRPGNK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_4TXEXR3Z5E8XQW6TG48J

Amazon, believe it or not it is some pretty good leather, heres a pic of the flesh side

20210204_203855.jpg

I have used a lot of Weavers English bridle and still like it. But recently switched to WC. WC will take on water for casing the leather better than weavers. I case it for embossing. Plus I typically buy already stained and finished . Part of the reason why one takes on water more than the other. Due to the finishing process I assume. I get sharper embossing imprints on the WC.

and no trade secrets for me.  

G'Day,

English bridle can be incredibly expensive in Oz  , so I use  4mm  nat veg tan butts and shoulders, and for heavy use  5-5.5mm .  Nice to work with , tool , carve etc. 

HS

have you looked at herman oaks yet?  it all tools nicely, or are you just looking at making just dress belts? just curious. hope this helps. I use 8-9 oz.

W&C is what I've used.

I'm thinking of ordering some latigo and using that instead/too.

IMHO, the ideal leather for belts is something that has firm temper, and that has been imbued with oils and waxes (such as English bridle) so that it resist water and the elements better, even before you apply a finish. I hear latigo is just the thing for outdoorsy gear and wear.

I don't stamp and I don't dye, so natural veg tan is not a requirement for me.

Edited by Hardrada

@OLESKIVER Some are dress / general purspose belts, but the heavier stuff is used for tool belts, stirrup straps etc.  . I also have a limited supply of 5mm black chrome buffalo sides  that I reserve  for heavy tool belts etc. 

I have used  herman oak sometimes,  albeit it in small doses,  nice to tool like you said,   but here in Oz, its around the $500+  mark per side.

HS

I have looked at WC latigo. I like it except for the limited colors available. I am not tooling it.  So mainly dress and some casual belts. 
I have examined the “big name” brands of leather, but I know there’s way more than just those. @mike02130   Thanks for the link. I have tried most of them in swatches (I may get some straps to test it out more fully)

The only single ply belts I've made have been with 13oz hermon oak skirting.  I've really been wanting to buy one of these double butts...  https://buyleatheronline.com/en/home/73-veg-tanned-double-butts.html#/8-color-beige_natural/38-average_size_of_the_whole_piece-18_m_20_sq_ft_22_yd/56-thickness-4_mm/74-grade_quality-best_1_grade/161-size-whole_piece

Scootch

I’ve been sourcing from Buyleatheronline in Italy for some time. They’re very good to work with. They ship fast! Remember: Keep the order under $800 to avoid customs duties. 

On 2/4/2021 at 6:18 PM, BeltBro said:

From what tannery? (Unless that’s a trade secret :yes:)

I have tried some English bridle, but I haven’t found one with a smooth or soft flesh. They’re all kinda half finished/half strings. 

Ask if they can holster the hide.  Might just be with Veg tan but I have mine holstered to smooth out the back.  

I've not ordered English bridle from them but Weaver's leather has some of the smoothest flesh sides I.have found on their dyed veg tan.  

On 2/4/2021 at 9:27 AM, BeltBro said:

I’m getting ready to start making belts. I have looked at numerous leathers still have not found exactly what I’m looking for. Money is not as much of a concern as quality. I want a single ply belt in the 9 ounce range that is super smooth on the back, scratch resistant, and won’t crack when bent. What leather do you use?

I tried splenda BOM leather; it was everything I wanted except for the fact that it cracked when bent. I feel like there has to be something that meets these qualities. 

So I'm working with some stingray and wanted to test this.  This is Feibings Pro Oil Black.  No deglaze.  Just straight dye, one coat, on a scrap edge of a hide.  No finish on the hide from me and assuming none from the tannery,.  I think I'll dye this hide and use the rest of it as black now.  That said, dyeing a new piece is far easier than trying to dye a finished piece.  

IMG_5384.jpg