Dogfisher

Leather bowls

I want to try this. I saw a YT video about Neil MacGregor from The Gloucestershire Guild Of Craftsmen. He wet forms leather over a polished wooden stump, then he repeats the process on another piece and glues them inside of each other. He mentions, cow skin, calfskin, and goat skin. The YT video is below.. There are some aspects of this process that he doesn't explain. Can anyone help me guess the rest of the process? Leather weights and types, at what stage would I dye or oil the leather? How would you glue the two bowls together? Will it retain its shape long term or do I need a stiff finishing product? I will also include some stills.

Bowl1.jpg

Bowl2.jpg

Bowl3.jpg

Edited by Dogfisher
Added photos.

Wow, that was fascinating! Notice he's using a deer shank bone to help stretch the wet leather, and press the water out of it.

Very cool stuff.  Looks like he uses a lasting plier to pull the leather down.  To have one bowl fit into the other I would think that the diameter of the wood form would need to be sized accordingly.  Once dried the leather will hold its form well but I think he sealed it with some Resolene or similar. 

Fascinating, right? How do you think he glues the two bowls together? I'm thinking dry out both bowls, apply glue and put them both back on the form and pull something down on top of them like canvas until the glue sets? Perhaps the slight diameter difference will work itself out during the gluing and repressing step? Maybe they aren't fully dry when he glues them together? I'm going to take a swing at it. Stayed tuned for the results.

Your process sounds good. Cant wait to see the results!

What kind of dye should I use and when should I apply it?

1 hour ago, Dogfisher said:

What kind of dye should I use and when should I apply it?

Sorry, can’t help you out there.  I’m no good at dyeing.  Gave up on it early and just buy what colors I need though I have used Fiebings with some success.  

Hopefully someone knowledgeable can chime in. 

The odd shape was originally from bowl-turning burl or similar root stock, which left little choice. His selection of goat for the liner may have allowed him to use the same bowl core, using the expansion of hide when wet to grip the goat tightly in drying. This is why the splits show on the lining. the goat's been forced into every crevice. From their approach, I don't think they'll have used artificial glues, but bone glues, which add to the waterproofing and rigidity.

I have been doing this for awhile. Pretty neat process.

27AB2B4D-FAA8-4F78-9016-C78068E73F61.jpeg

Edited by klutes

1 hour ago, Webicons said:

Sorry, can’t help you out there.  I’m no good at dyeing.  Gave up on it early and just buy what colors I need though I have used Fiebings with some success.  

Hopefully someone knowledgeable can chime in. 

Fieblings pro dye.

15 minutes ago, klutes said:

I have doing this for awhile. Pretty neat process.

15 minutes ago, klutes said:

Please, if you don't mind, do you have photos of some of your work and or process?

19 minutes ago, klutes said:

19 minutes ago, klutes said:

That looks awesome! Please, if you don't mind, do you have photos of some of your other work and or process?

Some of my work you asked to see. 

1A03A294-7E30-49B0-9E9F-64BF07CDE2A5.jpeg

361DA01D-A749-46C3-97D1-E07A8873F2FB.jpeg

A21706D8-0939-4656-B59A-C63737885162.jpeg

1 hour ago, klutes said:

Some of my work you asked to see. 

Nice work.  
I think Dogfisher was looking for some pointers on how you made the leather bowl. 

Afraid that I have never took pictures of the process to show. 

Looks great. I really like that top bag. So how do you merge the bowls into 1?

Look at the picture posted above. The one with the leather pulled over the wooden stump. That is the first step. Only you have to pull and work the leather down more than he has shown there. Other words about twice as many tack as he shows there. A lot of pulling and working out the wrinkles and water. You will not eliminate all of them. Let it dry for about 24 hours. Now repeat the process with second layer of leather. Flesh to flesh lots of glue. It’s a lot of work to get it worked down. Let it dry for 30-36 hours. Cut and remove. That in its self is a lot of work. Probably close to 200 tacks to remove. Lot of poked holes in the fingers. Finish the top edge as you normally would a piece of leather. 
Also I always dye to color first. No real apparent reason just the way I do it. 
It took me a while to get everything figured out.

One more thing I forgot to mention. When you finally take it off the form. It is still damp inside the leather. It will feel pliable. Other word set aside for  a couple of days and it will finish curing out and get a lot more firmer.

Edited by klutes

Wow. Thank you so much. I am on a mission now klutes!:trumpet:

Two layers of veg tan around 8 oz each

First thing first a form

Edited by klutes

21 minutes ago, Dogfisher said:

Wow. Thank you so much. I am on a mission now klutes!:trumpet:

Email me if you need to

Edited by klutes

I’ve heard of people using nesting Tupperware bowls as forms. Or perhaps a more traditional method; mounting a bowl onto a board and then using a wood circle cutout on top to clamp the leather down. 
Unless you have a lathe I reckon that making the form seem in the video would be difficult. 

Luckily, I used to be a professional chainsaw carver. I should be able to come up with something.

Good deal. I personally prefer the wooden forms over the other way. Just me I guess. It’s an almost forgotten way. 

Edited by klutes

52 minutes ago, Dogfisher said:

Luckily, I used to be a professional chainsaw carver. I should be able to come up with something.

Well that’s something you don’t hear everyday!  It’s always interesting to hear everyone’s other hobbies/skills.  Looking forward to seeing that bowl with some carved bears. 

Ha! I started with bears but fish were my bread & butter. Haven't done it professionally in over a decade.