Sheilajeanne

Toe of Moccasin

How do you do a welted toe on a moccasin, instead of just the regular toe, where the stitching shows?

moccasin toe.jpg

look into some of the other moc patterns. Souix patterns are really nice!  and dont have that bunched up look. I have a file but its to big to attach, i'll try to find a link or pattern for you.

i cant find the link to the pdf book i have but if you google Sioux moccasin pattern you will get what you need. it has hidden stitching all around. Its amazing the different styles and patterns Indians used some are so easy and end up really nice. The apache for example had a toe piece sewn in that was made out of rawhide to protect against the cactus.

Mocassins Design.pdf | Shoe | Cheyenne (scribd.com)

Edited by chuck123wapati

Thanks a bunch, Chuck!  :thumbsup:

Edit: ugh, need to become a member to read beyond the first few pages... :( 

Edited by Sheilajeanne

5 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Thanks a bunch, Chuck!  :thumbsup:

Edit: ugh, need to become a member to read beyond the first few pages... :( 

you can find other places i downloaded it as a free ebook.

Maybe I should check all my Tandy downloads...there's probably something there that will help! DUH! If not, I'll see if I can download your link for free...

13 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Maybe I should check all my Tandy downloads...there's probably something there that will help! DUH! If not, I'll see if I can download your link for free...

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/paleoplanet69529/moccasins-101-how-to-make-one-piece-moccasins-t14813.html

Not quite what I'm looking for, but I did find a video, which unfortunately, cut out just as it was getting interesting. You cut a half inch strip of leather, and all the sewing is done in that strip, so nothing shows on the outside. 

https://www.heartberry.com/blogs/news/makizinikewin-moccasin-making

I've subscribed to her channel, and hopefully will be able to see all of the steps for sewing the moccasin together.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Oh yea, here's where she gets into sewing the welt.

Someone needs to tell her a welp is what you find in the whelping box, when you're dog has had puppies... :lol: 

Sorry, I'm a dog person, so had to say that! 

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Yup! Am very keen to get going on this now that I know how! The videos this lady uses for teaching are EXCELLENT! I watched another video for sewing the welting into the toe, and it wasn't nearly as well-thought out when it came to doing the puckers!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

looks like more of a mukluk type moc  very cool.

I'm planning to eliminate the split in the toe, chuck. The sewing of the welting will still be just the same, I think - starting from the middle of the toe. Having the stitching and puckers hidden gives the moc a more pleasing look to my eye.

51RBHKXKJKL._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Chuck,

Speaking of mukluks, have you seen the wonderful book: Our Boots : An Inuit Women's Art: Oakes, Jill; Riewe, Rick

That book really got me going.  Had some pre-whenever seal skin from Norway and it worked fine.  Wish I still had them.

God bless

Edited by Northmount
Fixed photo hiding text

Well, that didn't work out so well, and I can't get to the edit tab.....That book is WELL worth the money, new or used.  I put many miles on mine, working or snowshoeing.

cant wait to see!!!

"Stepping Through Time" is a really good book to have if you are interested in making non-modern shoes.  It's medieval, but it covers a range of construction methods, including turn shoes.  The only place I could find a copy was at Abe Books.

Thanks, tsunkasapa. Some of those links are dead, unfortunately, but there's also some very good information. The information on quills will be especially useful, as that's something I very much want to try.

Yes, but a number of the  links Crazy Crow gives to the useful information are dead.

For instance, all the links to 'Helpful Mocassin Related Links'' given on this page https://www.crazycrow.com/site/craft-focus-moccasins/ are dead.

Edited by Sheilajeanne