Kolton45

Hermann oak grading marks

I was wondering if anyone knows how Hermann oak Mark's theres grades of leather I was told these 2 were b grade from the stamp Mark's and it made me curious of what the other stamps look like for there other grades 

Screenshot_20210205-205717_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Kolton45

Which marks are you referring to?  The numbers are for the original size of the hide they sold. Can you post a better pic (maybe larger) ?

Hello,

The grades are not written behind the hide. There is only the Hermann OAk Brand, and the surface in square feet.
The grade is established depending of number of defects and the dimension of surfaces having an appearance defect. These Grades are definded at the end of the process.
I know that since the change of shareolders and of the Head Managment, in France, we have a lot difficulties to get a real A grade. They sale for a A grade a B grade or worse. I tried to write to the sales department, but I only had  very evasive answers.

I don't order anymore directly at the HO french represantative, I order at Weaver Leather in whom I have complete confidence and which send me the real quality I ordered.
All this to say I like carve this leather, but it's become very difficult to trust this firm.

Mich'

On 2/5/2021 at 7:58 PM, Kolton45 said:

I was wondering if anyone knows how Hermann oak Mark's theres grades of leather I was told these 2 were b grade from the stamp Mark's and it made me curious of what the other stamps look like for there other grades 

I have never seen a "stamp" for grade on the back of an HO side.  Generally it's their stamp, plus somebody WROTE the grade in a single letter with a marker (often green, though I've seen other colors).

11 minutes ago, FrenchMich said:

I order at Weaver Leather in whom I have complete confidence

Maybe this is different outside the US?  I ordered leather from Weaver ONCE, and will not do it again.  Been probably 5 years or better.  The hides I got were entirely unacceptable. Did they know?  Either they DONT KNOW what good leather looks like, or they DO KNOW and were hoping that I DIDN"T KNOW.  Either way, they burned that bridge.  I sold the leather for about 30¢ on the dollar to a guy who makes knife sheaths and so was able to cut small clean parts between the marks COVERING those sides. Supposed to be HO A/B grade, but .... YIKES.  Fortunately, I had only ordered a couple of sides to "test the water" to see if I wanted to buy leather at Weaver. Now I know.

OK, It was HO leather or the new brand? I'm working with Weaver Leather compagny for 20 years, I always have the same interlocuteur, and for the moment I didn't have any problem. 

Any way, it's more and more difficult to have good leather. In France, we can have very good and very nice leathers but there are no adapted for the carving. Leathers are not dry enough and it's no good to keep forms.

So what I learned is that if you see next to the 3 and 1 there is an equal looking sign the 2 dashes and that means it's a B grade supposedly if its 1 dash is A, 2 is B, 3 is C, 

Thank you very Much, I didn't have this information. It will be very helpful