RobP

veg tan goat

I have some nice 3 oz veg tan goat that i'd like to try and use as a liner for my holsters and gun belts. I usually use an 8-9 oz and line it with 6-7 oz leather. I'd probably use an 11 oz if I try and use the 3 oz goat skin for a liner. I'll use a french skiver and skive reliefs where the holster skirt bends and where the holster folds over to the welt side/main seam. I think the goat will make a nice elegant lining. What are your thoughts? Rob

Goat will make a nice liner.
I question why so thick on your holsters? If I do a heavy holster it is normally for a Desert Eagle style gun. Most of my holsters are designed out if 5/6 lined or not. My holsters are also designed so only the wearer can remove the gun. All are done with no retention straps or snaps.  

Like everything else, some veg goat is quite nice and some isn't.  Attaching a pic - this one was done a good while back, with a 3 oz veg goat lining. Oh, and your holster weight sounded pretty heavy to me too, but ... let a guy build his own way, I say ;)

redhawk.jpg

Most of my holsters are for single action and are around 14oz total thickness the last 8-9 oz i ordered was more like a 7-8 oz. Same with the gun belt whether straight or buscadero style. I use much thinner leather for a deeply molded pancake style holster. Thats just the way Mr. Bianchi taught me and has worked for me so far. My last holster was.207. P.S. Nice tooling JLS