I have recently found a new love for rum.  So, I decided I needed a way to keep notes about the rums I love.  And hate.  There are some bad ones out there that I don’t want to forget about and waste the money.

3F807823-A1E2-4EB6-8E73-64DAAA727EB4.jpeg

424C2700-741A-488D-B011-37195AC310D1.jpeg

78A3283A-11BD-48AB-A127-D3DA6D5555B7.jpeg

27 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

I have recently found a new love for rum.  So, I decided I needed a way to keep notes about the rums I love.  And hate.  There are some bad ones out there that I don’t want to forget about and waste the money.

3F807823-A1E2-4EB6-8E73-64DAAA727EB4.jpeg

424C2700-741A-488D-B011-37195AC310D1.jpeg

78A3283A-11BD-48AB-A127-D3DA6D5555B7.jpeg

Is that a self portrait after half a bottle of your favourite?  No one can doubt what it's for. Good job.

Acrylics have always mystified me. I used to think Acrylics were Acrylics but apparently not so. Some are expensive and some are pennies and I'm still not sure which ones will stick to leather forever and which ones won't. Maybe someone should give the sub species names like with dyes? (although dye names could do with an overhaul also.)

@Toxo,  after half a bottle of my favorite, I am fast asleep!  Honestly, two glasses of 50-60 proof rum and I’m ready for a nap!

Some will say acrylics are all the same.  I disagree.  Application, pigment strength and durability all vary by maker.  I use Golden hiflow here and createx.  There are other great paints like wicked colors as well.

I avoid other brands like the plague, although some do just fine with them, so you just have to find what works for you.  I went with Golden for airbrushing ease.

@brewster. Thanks man!  

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

Some will say acrylics are all the same.  I disagree.  Application, pigment strength and durability all vary by maker.  I use Golden hiflow here and createx.  There are other great paints like wicked colors as well.

I went with Golden for airbrushing ease.

This is something that interests me a lot and there are so many questions but I don't wanna corrupt your thread any more. Is there somewhere I can go for the answers?

Ask me anything.  That’s why I’m here.

3 hours ago, immiketoo said:

Thanks Mike. I do have an airbrush somewhere but have never used it, Been thinking about getting a quiet compressor for it. I have the smallest of the big boy sprayguns that I have used for dyes with my big boy compressor but that's in the shed.

So, I see it used on veg tan, do you "prep" the leather first to take acrylic?

Do acrylics work on chrome tan or oil tan?

Does each layer have to dry before the next?

What kind of finish to make it "fast"?

On bigger applications like a bag flap etc, will it crack if flexed?

That'll do for now. Thanks again.

11 minutes ago, toxo said:

Thanks Mike. I do have an airbrush somewhere but have never used it, Been thinking about getting a quiet compressor for it. I have the smallest of the big boy sprayguns that I have used for dyes with my big boy compressor but that's in the shed.

So, I see it used on veg tan, do you "prep" the leather first to take acrylic?

Do acrylics work on chrome tan or oil tan?

Does each layer have to dry before the next?

What kind of finish to make it "fast"?

On bigger applications like a bag flap etc, will it crack if flexed?

That'll do for now. Thanks again.

The quiet compressors are a real boon, but I used paint brushes for this.

There is no prep necessary on veg tan leather.  

Acrylic won’t stick to oil tan.  I’ve tried and it cracks or peels in a very short time.  Chrome tan is different, but usually it bends beyond the limits of flex in the paint.  If it’s flat or doesn’t bend much, it will stick.

you do not need to wait between layers if you’re painting with a paint brush and you want to blend colors.  If you want to paint on top of that blend, then it needs to dry.

if you’re  air brushing, it’s best to let coats dry completely, as it’s a different process, but there are techniques where you mix colors while wet.

acrylic paint = acrylic finish.  Other finishes will lift paint or dissolve it.

Acrylic paint has an inherent ability to flex if its thin enough.  Thick paints suck at this, which is why I always use pro grade paint.  They can be pushed further than cheap paints.  The liquids that carry the pigment are superior to craft level paints.

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

The quiet compressors are a real boon, but I used paint brushes for this.

There is no prep necessary on veg tan leather.  

Acrylic won’t stick to oil tan.  I’ve tried and it cracks or peels in a very short time.  Chrome tan is different, but usually it bends beyond the limits of flex in the paint.  If it’s flat or doesn’t bend much, it will stick.

you do not need to wait between layers if you’re painting with a paint brush and you want to blend colors.  If you want to paint on top of that blend, then it needs to dry.

if you’re  air brushing, it’s best to let coats dry completely, as it’s a different process, but there are techniques where you mix colors while wet.

acrylic paint = acrylic finish.  Other finishes will lift paint or dissolve it.

Acrylic paint has an inherent ability to flex if its thin enough.  Thick paints suck at this, which is why I always use pro grade paint.  They can be pushed further than cheap paints.  The liquids that carry the pigment are superior to craft level paints.

Thanks for taking the time Mike. It'll have to go on the back burner for now. In the middle of building my hot stamp press at the moment and loving it.

15 hours ago, toxo said:

Thanks for taking the time Mike. It'll have to go on the back burner for now. In the middle of building my hot stamp press at the moment and loving it.

My pleasure.  

On 2/7/2021 at 2:18 PM, immiketoo said:

I have another question Mike. I swear the way my mind works sometimes is a curse.

So - My "shop" is upstairs in the front of the house. My big boy compressor is in the shed in the garden. I have a very long air hose on the compressor. I know the hose expands quite a lot.

Now I'm thinking noise here at night, Would there be enough air in the hose for small airbrush projects without the big boy going off in the night?

I appreciate I'm asking how long is a piece of string but do you have any idea?

Your work is as crazy good as the look of the mandrill on the diary Mike. It looks amazing and fun!

On 2/10/2021 at 4:50 PM, toxo said:

I have another question Mike. I swear the way my mind works sometimes is a curse.

So - My "shop" is upstairs in the front of the house. My big boy compressor is in the shed in the garden. I have a very long air hose on the compressor. I know the hose expands quite a lot.

Now I'm thinking noise here at night, Would there be enough air in the hose for small airbrush projects without the big boy going off in the night?

Toxo, I have no experience with that, but I don’t think it would be too reliable like that.  It’s all about consistent pressure, and you’d have a constantly lowering spray volume.

Balttlemunky, thanks man!

On 2/10/2021 at 6:50 AM, toxo said:

You would also have continual "bleed" at any and all couplings. In very little time you would have little or no pressure in the line.