Brooks125

Making Space in the Shop

It's bound to happen, but space is getting tight in the shop.  I know I'm not the only one with this challenge and I don't want to reinvent the wheel.  Can any of you give me one good idea for how you save space in your shop?  What's a good storage, usage or organizing tip you might have?  I have about 50 sq/ft to work with and I do store my leather sides in the next room.  The picture shows my latest incarnation of the "lair".

Shop 8.jpg

G'Day,

I know exactly how you feel . Space was at a prime in my little 20x20 workshop,  I was spending too much time looking for stuff, and I couldn't get from one side to the other without tripping on something, I also do horse rug repairs, they take up a huge amount of  ' real estate' . So..... I have another large shed  on my rural property, choccas full of junk...so I spent my Christmas " holiday" on clearing it out, throwing  lots of s***t,  out  an alternative to buying another small storage shed, I had to make some tough decisions too, what to throw out and what to keep etc.  . Long story short, I now have more spare space in my workshop . Removing all the ' stuff' I haven't  used in yonks into the large shed, all the 'stuff' that sat under benches forever...that I have  forever complained about. 

So I guess its a case of condensing down all the stuff you haven't used in a long time . Putting the least used/ unlikely to be used  ' stuff ' into boxes , but then you need to find somewhere for that. I also utilised cheap shelving from the hardware shops . That may be an option for you? Also have a poke around on this site, theres plenty of leather workers that had the same problem regarding space & storage . 

Love your selection of gun molds btw  :) 

Good luck  :)

HS 

I've always liked the "Ol boys" screw topped glass jars screwed underneath a shelf. Takes up no extra space and you can see at a glance exactly what's in em.

I store the stuff I don't use everyday or very much in totes or in a different room. like your pistols. I'll bet you only use one at a time and some are less used than others. looks like that alone would give you a third of your wall back.