327fed

Maxing out Consew 225

I have a Consew 225 that I use for 8-9 oz leather. The needles I have are 135 x 16 and 135 x 17. I  am sure these are not leather needles. I use 138 thread on top and 92 on the bottom. What is the largest thread I can  run on this machine? With which needles? I am assuming I would get better performance with leather needles. Some of these needles came with the machine, some I bought from  Thread Exchange. Last time I tried the 136x 16 the 138 thread would not work. Please advise. 

The 135x16 and 135x17 are needle systems. These numbers refer to the length and other dimensions of the needle, not the thread size. Every machine is designed to use one needle system. The 135x17 is a round tip needle made for sewing fabric. The 135x16 is a blade tip needle made for sewing leather. Leather needle tips come in several styles like diamond point or triangle point, slant or straight.  In a needle designation the style comes first like 135x16 and the size comes after it like 135x16 size 22. the size refers to the diameter of the needle and the size of the hole. For 138 thread you will want to try a size 22 or 23 needle. It will depend on the type and thickness of the leather you are sewing.

Looks like I have 18, 21, 22 and 23. The leather is double shoulder veg tanned. Can I exceed 138 thread on this machine? 

My Consew 225 managed size 207 thread reasonably well, even with a less than ideal needle. You may have to tweak some adjustments a little, but the hardware itself can handle it.

I made this video a few years ago:

Uwe,

That's a thing of beauty.  I had no idea a 225 could sew 207 thread.  What modifications did you make? 

Thanks

Thanks. What needle are you using Ewe?

@327fedThe needle in the video was a size 22 regular point - all the details are in the video subtitles.

@Pintodeluxe No modifications, just everything adjusted to spec.

Edited by Uwe

Wow, that's surprising.  My 226 didn't even like 138 thread too well.  

Thanks. All the stars have to line up for me to see a  U tube video at my place. 

Edited by 327fed

So if 207 on top, have to be 138 on bottom, or 207 on bobbin too?

So a 135 x 16 is for leather and a 135 x17 is for fabric. And a DP point is for leather. Why is there a 135 x 17 with a DP point? 

1 hour ago, 327fed said:

Why is there a 135 x 17 with a DP point?

Good question! I think someone mislabeled the package. I do see slightly different types of "round" point needles in different systems. They are all basically round or sharp from round points. I've never seen a tri or diamond point in 135x17; just 135x16. Who woulda thunk it?

When we set this machine up somebody suggested using the size smaller thread on the bobbin which I have now. Is that needed or can I run 138 top and bottom.? 

Usually you can run 138 in top and bottom but we do not know how your machine is set up. Just try it out. As you may have noticed in the above video UWE is even running 207 top and bottom. You usually use bottom thread 1 size smaller when the machine (for what ever reason) has problems centering the thread knots in the middle of the material you sew.

Edited by Constabulary

Thanks everybody.

I have an old Singer 168 post machine with compound feed walking feet. It has a top loading hook. I had it adjusted for extra clearance between the hook and needle when I bought it and it will sew with #207 on top and in the bobbin, using a #24 needle! It also sews with #92 thread which is what I usually have in it. Admittedly, I have not tried using #69 thread and a small #18 needle. I have other machines for that, so why risk skipped stitches?

While a top loading "G" bobbin machine may be able to sew with #207 thread, that bobbin won't hold as much of that size thread as a newer machine with a larger M or U hook (or a harness stitcher). I only use the post machine with thick thread in situations where no other machine can sew the work at hand.

If anyone is curious about the modifications made to my post machine, ask Bob Kovar.

I tried a bobbin of 138 and locked things up. Wrapped up feed dogs, lots of pulling out tangles. Back with 92 bobbin, tension is all off. And thread length doubled.And then I also thought -25 degree leather in my unseated shop is probably tougher to sew than 60 degree leather. 

Edited by 327fed

Ate supper, went back and reset tensions and thread length. Close to where I started on settings.  Oddly enough I hav both operators manual and service manual and neither shows thread path.

Thanks. It is threaded wrong for sure.

1 hour ago, 327fed said:

Thanks. It is threaded wrong for sure.

Video is a bit poor and old but you don´t know the thread path but you know threading in the video is wrong? How do you know?

No sir. MY machine is for sure threaded wrong based on video. No disrespect to your video or info. Have been using it threaded wrong for a year or so. That’s the beauty of this group - facts.

No offense taken. My employees often say I don’t communicate well. Information was very useful. My machine is missing the same thread guide down next to the presser foot that was mentioned as missing on the guy’s Singer 111. Do I need to hunt one or is this how the machine came out.? 

For some reason it will not sew leather with leather (16) needles. Sews leather with 17 needles. 

Edited by Northmount
changed easel to reason