norsemaninbfe

Hand stitching with white thread

Hi

i have a knife sheath that is stained black that i tried hand stitching with white waxed thread which turned grey in no time. I let the black stain dry for 3 days and washed my hands good, any advice?

Thank you

Also seal the leather and use gloves so you don't transfer any dye

Make sure that the thread is waxed throughly (paraffin is good for this) and leave a few inches of “sacrificial” thread to pickup any residual dye that will be cut off when you finish. 

Also, buffing the piece to get rid of excess dye that may be residual on the surface should help. It could be the dye too. In my experience,  Fiebings Pro Dye leaves the least behind with Fiebings alcohol dye being almost as bad as waterstain. I haven't sewn through Angelus dyes so I don't know about those but they did transfer on my hands after they were dried so I expect they would wreck some white thread.

One thing you can do is use synthetic thread.  These are very hard to dye (use boiling acid, etc.) so if they are not fully white they just need cleaned. Saddle soap is good for that.

The other option is to use linen.  Wax it and then apply a sealer, like resolene.  Keep applying wax as needed, esprcially paraffin (checking canning section on supermarket).  When done, clean with saddle soap.

All good reply's up top.  another thing you can do. is use shorter  pieces of thread. The longer the thread is the more times it gets pulled through a hole