PappysLeather

Lining holsters and belts

Is there advantages to lining holsters and belts or is it just mostly for looks? Is there a leather to use that allows actual storing your gun In? I have lined some holsters but don't know if I used the right leather. Haven't lined belts because I do all my stitching by hand and it would take forever.

The big reason I line holsters and belts is the added stiffness it adds.  If you have the same weight leather, 16 oz for example for a belt, a combination of 2- 8 oz pieces or a 12 and 4 oz piece will be noticeably stiffer, when glued and stitched together,  than a piece of 16 oz leather.  For holsters I also like to line them since it makes the inside smooth too.

Todd

There are many reasons for lining holsters and belts. Due to the fact that two layers of leather will be more structurally tough than a single layer of leather of equal thickness, there is an advantage. Another is that the rough side of leather attracts dust and grit more than the smooth side. Many believe lined looks better. 

They cost more because of use of much more material and take about 2x as long to construct. I have found a lot of difficulty finding a good lining leather. It needs to be very thin, yet tough and cheap. Thicker veggie tan results in a lot of wrinkling on an inside bend. So far thin (2oz) goatskin works best for me. 

lIn addition to all the above;  lining a holster will protect stitching of the loop  or the mouth from rubbing against the gun metal, helping to prolong the life of the stitches., or in the case of rivets, the lining protects against the gun from being rubbed against the rivets or chicago screws.

On a belt, lining can conceal the stiffener layer, such as a plastic layer, which might help you use thinner leathers.

Edited by TonyV

No one mentioned this yet but I happen to like the look of a holster with a natural color lining. I use two layers of 4-5oz leather. I think it just looks classier.

Thank you for your comments

The feel of a lined belt is far superior, IMO, than an unlined belt. You feel supported compared to a non-lined belt. I bet guns feel the same way :)  I hand sew too and it does take forever. I've done 4 by hand so far. It is a labor of love for sure. My fingers still hurt with ghost pain from the needles a year after the fact. I love both of mine and my buddy would fight you to the death for both of his but I'll be damned if it was easy.

Edited by battlemunky