SmellsLikeHorses

Heavy Barrel Racing/Vintage Saddle?? Big"W" & old Blevins Buckles

I need some help from an expert please. Is this saddle vintage and if so, where do I go to have a fair value appraisal? Is it a barrel racing saddle?
I'm pretty sure this saddle was made in the 60's. Maker mark says: Western Saddlery Manufacturers of Big "W" The Preferred Line (see picture). There is no serial number but there is a for digit number in the back that reads 1093 (see picture).
It has Blevins buckles that are marked as patent pending. The stirrups look leather wrapped and are in very good shape. I believe the flower designs are hand tooled. Saddle weighs around 36lbs.
The reason I believe it is from the 60's is because the US Patent application was filed by Earl L Blevins and Joan V Blevins on Novemeber 24, 1964. The application was not granted until April 18, 1967. I know that is not concrete evidence since the buckles could have been placed there from another saddle but the four digit number (1093) is something you see in the older saddles rather than a serial number.
Any thoughts?

20210208_152200.jpg

20210208_152838.jpg

20210208_151723.jpg

20210208_152445.jpg

20210208_151733.jpg

20210208_151929.jpg

20210208_152957.jpg

It's definitely not a barrel racing saddle.  It's a roper style front, with no swell and a big horn.  I would agree with your dating of it as being 1960's.  Value on a saddle like that around here would be under $200, and even then I'd sit on it a long while before it would sell. Right or wrong, riders today do not want to ride in something that looks as dated as that style, and there is no collectible value to it that I know of.

Ditto and if it has the fiberglass covered tree, even less. Somebody might make use of it to sack colts. Just for more knowledge you might use some of the hardware to tie things down closer,

On 2/10/2021 at 9:33 AM, BigSiouxSaddlery said:

It's definitely not a barrel racing saddle.  It's a roper style front, with no swell and a big horn.  I would agree with your dating of it as being 1960's.  Value on a saddle like that around here would be under $200, and even then I'd sit on it a long while before it would sell. Right or wrong, riders today do not want to ride in something that looks as dated as that style, and there is no collectible value to it that I know of.

I appreciate the feedback. The sadlle was given to me with a horse and I thought it was way too heavy. I started to clean it up to sell it and that is when I realized I couldn't identify what it was or what it was used for. Hearing from you and "oltoot" helped me to validate my research. I enjoy finding a bit of history in an item, even if there is zero value. Thanks again!

On 2/10/2021 at 11:29 AM, oltoot said:

Ditto and if it has the fiberglass covered tree, even less. Somebody might make use of it to sack colts. Just for more knowledge you might use some of the hardware to tie things down closer,

Thank you for your input. I believe it is a fiberglass covered tree. I may just hang on to it for a bit so I can have some fun discovering any history it may have. The 1093 on the back is still a mystery for me. I love a good mystery :0)

We are a Texas and California born family originally and I may have tied this saddle back to Califorina. 

Thanks again for your knowledge!

Yeah, who'd want a saddle that weighed 30 lbs?? Especially for a sport like barrel racing!

I'm not that familiar with Western tack, as I rode English, except for trips to the local dude ranch when I was in my teens. Do they still make saddles that heavy, and what would they be used for?

My guess is the number is likely the maker's serial number.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I read somewhere that these saddles were made by Red Rider

Wow, thank you!

I’ve been searching forever, but the only thing I’ve had to go with was the worn “W” logo on the horn. Even if it was cleaned up, it doesn’t have the business name around the outside like yours does. The tag was the first thing that drew my attention in a Google search. Mine is the same shape, but where yours is marked 1093, mine says 1944. Until now, I’d assumed it was a year of manufacture; now I assume it’s a serial number of some description. This one does have a fiberglass tree, but the stirrups are entirely different: they look like a hardwood with a steel wrap rather than the leather that you have there. I’ll have to take a look in the daylight to see what more similarities and differences there might be here, but I’m so glad to have found this post! 
Thanks again!