DanishMan

Skiving machine conversion

Last week, I bought a Fortuna 3S skiving machine in Poland.

The 3S is more or less exclusively for shoe production, so the plan is to try to convert it into a normal skiving machine. I have an arm from an old Fortuna skiving machine, which I will try to fit.

The seller had packed the machine properly and it arrived today on an europa pallet.

As I unpacked the machine, I realised that the machine was in a bad shape. Many screws were not original, and the machine had signs of many years

of not being maintained properly. The seller had had the machine for two years, and I suspect the machine was not really useful for upholstery.

Anyways - it is still a good project.

When inspecting the machine, I realised that the 3S machine has some extra structure on the back of the machine (I suspect it to weigh almost 50 kgs)

The extra structure is attached by four bolts, whereas the arm is attached by three bolts. For that reason, I need to drill new holes in the machine. I also need to figure out to make new mounting to the table, as the mountings where at the extra structure.

Edited by DanishMan
photos not uploaded

Do you have any pictures?

Instead of drilling and tapping new holes in the machine itself, you could make an adapter flange.

One that has got the 3 holes for your arm, and 4 holes for the back of the machine, Off course it depends on if the arm mounting holes are more or less the exact same position as the 4 first holes.
(I am not sure if this makes sense, it is kind of difficult to explain)

Brgds Jonas

1585652807_Fortuna3S-1.thumb.jpg.571f19a8686d6f3f0b0fcacb77db0b07.jpg1094367151_Fortuna3S2.thumb.jpg.63d5ae13178f00915aefd2ccb47e1f49.jpg282282549_Fortuna3S3.thumb.jpg.6e5f0e169e620e8d65379041e39b09f1.jpgHi Mulesaw

I tried to upload photos, but it did not work out for some reason.

Cheers

Søren

Fortuna 3S.jpg

Edited by DanishMan

Hi Søren

So you want the arm with 3 holes to replace the mint green arm with 4 mounting holes?

If you get a machine shop to make a piece of flat steel bar that is the same size as the base of the 4 hole arm, and drill 4 holes into that, then you can drill and tap 3 holes in the top of that plate (or have the machine shop doing that)

The 3 hole arm might sit a bit higher, but it depends on how it should have been mounted originally.

That way you could still fit the 4 hole arm in the future if there ever was a need for that.

Oh and buy the way, it is a nice looking machine :-)

I could also have completely misunderstood it all (I don't know the first thing about skivers, but I know a great deal on machines in general)

Cheers

Jonas

Hi Jonas

I think, I will drill the three holes. My wife has a similar Fortuna, and I can check it out on her machine. There is also a pin, that i need to place.

The 3S machine is kind of obsolete, so I will not use the big arm again.

And then off course, I have to paint it.

Cheers

Søren

Now I could suddenly see some more pictures :-)

But if the 3S is obsolete then I guess there is no need to be able to go back again.

I am looking forward to seeing some pictures of the finished machine at some point.

Cheers

Jonas

i love this kind of stuff please post more pictures and info when available ..

thank you for sharing !!

Not sure but it seems that it would be easier to take the components out of the 3S and fit them into the frame of the 50? 
Since micro adjustments are necessary for proper skiving I am concerned that the arm placement would be off. 

Fortunately I do not have to drill treads in the three holes. 

I could probably make them a fraction bigger, than the bolts, and then use a pin to make sure, that the alignment gets right.

I will post more photos later

I have taken the machine completely apart.

Normally I only do this, if I have to paint the machine. This one has been brush painted with a light green, so I will definitely have to paint it on the outside. The inside is 

very smooth. My experience with painting an old machine is, that the original paint is usually very sticky and more durable than new paint, so the plan is to putty fill the machine and then sand paper it.

Tomorrow, I will also measure, how to fit the black arm from an older machine.

Fortuna 3S 5.jpg

Fortuna 3S 6.jpg

Fortuna 3S 7.jpg

By the way - I have worked on several skiving machines during the past half year (due to corona) - all of them have been produced in Denmark by Vilhelm Pedersen

IMG_0274 copy.jpg

grøn VP sk.jpg

Dania skærfer 1 copy.jpg

I finished this machine a week ago. An old Danish machine.

I fitted it with two motors - one big constant speed motor for the knife, and a servo motor for the roller wheel.

It works really well, as the skiving speed is from 1cm/sec and up.

sort Dania copy.jpg

Dania sort 1 copy.jpg

I really like the green "hammerlak" paint on the Vilhelm Pedersen machine.

Tha Dania is looking good too

I painted two of them with hammerite paint..

It takes a bit of practice to get a good result.

And still, it is not as strong as the original paint. I suspect, that the machines are "baked" somehow after being painted..

I have tried Hammerite a few times and to be honest I was not really pleased (maybe user error - maybe not).

I had nicer results with this paint:   https://www.ebay.de/itm/1411755350

But you have to practice too but IMO it is the nicer and faster drying paint.

You may find it with different brands like RENOVO but thats just the label, they are made by PETER KWASNY.

I have ordered Esbjerg machine paint today. They have a green, that is very close to the original paint.

Regarding hammerite paint, it takes practice, and one has to use a thinner - otherwise the paint becomes a powder.

Are you painting it "Reseda green"  (Hannover green) ?

I guess it'll be spectacular once done, since you are sanding it down and all first :-) 
I really dislike making stuff ready for painting, so I am always impressed with those who take the time and do it.

Resada green is too light (I used that before).

Instead I ordered Thyregod green, which is darker.  

And you are right - preparing for painting is a pain.

Before painting the machine, I have to make sure, that the black arm fits this machine.

I realised, that I had to mount a to mm plate between the base of the arm the the main machine.  I do not have this peace of metal, but I will try to get in on Monday.

Next I have to make sure, that with the black arm, the presser foot will be situated properly over the feed wheel. It turns out, that the presser foot will sit 1 mm back compared to my wifes Fortuna. I believe it will work.

The original 3S machine had a 34 mm roller wheel, and I want to use a 50 mm wheel instead. This requires only minor adjustments it appears.

IMG_0432 copy 2.jpg

IMG_0435 copy.jpg

IMG_0437 copy.jpg

Arm fitted today.

Two mm metalplate fitted between arm and side of the machine.

fortuna project.jpg

Fortuna project 1.jpg

Fortuna project 2.jpg

You are really moving forward on this project!

Thyregod green is a nice colour. I just thought of Reseda green since most of my woodworking machines are that colour. I think it used to be sort of a standard machine colour for e.g. tablesaws and bandsaws etc.

Brgds

Jonas

Hi Jonas

The Thyregod color is very nice, but in fact the original colour is even darker.

I see that you are Danish. Where do you live?

Cheers

Søren

Hi Søren,

I live on the island of Mors in the northwest of Jutland.
So far from Copenhagen, but close to.. hmmm nothing really  :-)

Cheers

Jonas