niall

What Cylinder Machine for sewing up to 10mm

Hello, first time poster. I have been reading all I can on this great forum regarding the right machine to get for  leather bag  making. I have a workshop with 3 industrial flat bed machines so I am used to sewing. I am finding  it confusing finding the right machine to buy second hand. It is not helped by covid that I can not try any machines out and get a feel for them. My budget is up to €2000/ $2400.  I have a Minerva/Durkopp 524I flat bed which is not up to the job. I need a cylinder arm that is happy sewing around 10mm of leatherI have  short listed 

Pfaff 335 max ( Max clearance under foot 14mm ??)
DÜRKOPP ADLER Kl. 69-373.  ( Max clearance under foot mm ??)
Others ??  have to be available in Europe and able to ship to Ireland

Most of the fabric I sew is around 3 to 4 mm. The handles get up to 10mm I need a machine that will cope with that. Should I be looking at heaver class machines or will the above give me a good quality stitch ? Does not need to be fast at sewing in the heavy areas.

Image shows a leather fitting  I sew to bags, in this case it a tweed one. This is the  kind of thing I need to do with ease

Thanks in advance

IMG_8637.jpg

What size of thread are you planning on using? If I am not mistaken the Pfaff 335 is only good for V69 (Tkt 40) thread. I would look at a class Juki LS-341 or LS-1341 good to V138 (Tkt 20) top and bobbin as parts/ accessories for the Alder are probably going to be much more expensive then a Juki or a Juki clone.

kgg

The older model 335 has approx. 8mm under the foot, I believe the newer model has a bit more. It sounds like you should be looking for a machine that has at least 12mm under the foot.

Edited by dikman

Hi Dikman and Kgg thanks for taking the time to get back to me. Will be using a V-69 polyester thread from when I used to repair sails.  I am  open to advice on what I could be using.

Will take a look and see whats out there for the Juki LS-341. Interesting that the older pfaff do not go as high on the foot as the newer ones. Only going to 8mm would leave me under spec and if the machine can not do the trick bits it would be money badly spent

I use minimum V92 thread in lightly stressed locations but mostly just use V138 even for binding/edging. The V69 has a breaking strength of approximately 11 pounds and V92 is approximately 15 pounds where as V138 is approximately 22 pounds. My understanding is that V69 is the upper end of most domestic sewing machines and the lower end of industrial sewing machines for fabric sewing where stress / load /abrasion aren't a real problem. If the item is going to be exposed to a lot of outdoor use (UV exposure) or subjected to bleach I use bonded polyester thread otherwise bonded nylon.

kgg

Neither the Pfaff 335 nor the Adler 69 are well suited for what you’re trying to do, especially the handles.  

If I were you, I’d look for a used Durkopp Adler 269 or, better yet, save up for a new Durkopp Adler 869.  The links point to SIECK in Germany; they likely deliver to Ireland.

Edited by Uwe

There is a Juki second hand DSC246 on Ebay UK with foot lift clearance of 15mm that might be worth a look

JUKI DSC 246 Cylinder Arm Walking Foot Compound Feed Leather Sewing Machine | eBay

wow - JUKI website indeed states 15mm :blink:

https://www.juki.co.jp/industrial_e/products_e/leather_e/cylinder_e/dsc2447_2457_2467_244_245_246.html

But I would check with the seller and ask if he can confirm this before placing an order.

Edited by Constabulary

All I can say is I am shocked at the price, glad I was sat down. Your prices are really high over there on the other side of the pond for used machines. I would hate to buy a new one. That price converted into Canadian dollars is about $2600. A used Juki LS-1341 / table /servo motor in Ontario goes for about $1500 CAD or £850.00. The downfall of the 246 would be it's maximum thread of V92 versus V138 of the Juki LS -341/1341 but the upside it is setup for binding. Depends I guess on what you need/want to sew.

kgg

Edited by kgg
missing period