Sign in to follow this  
cjokrap

Hello World!!

Yeah, the title is a little cheesy, but I'm a programmer and can't help it.  I am BRAND NEW to leatherworking.  As in, still waiting for a decent set of pricking irons to come in so I can make my first thing.  What is that first thing?  A simple bag for my wife to carry her yarn from place to place so she can crochet once we leave the house again.

So, I'm a nerd.  Like, D&D/video games/renaissance fair kind of nerd, and I decided that next year, I want to cosplay at ren fair.  And not, make armor out of foam, cosplay.  I want to wear leather armor, a cloak, and carry a sword cosplay.  I started looking at armor online, and WHOA is it expensive.  Being a hobby woodworker made me decide that I can make the armor, but first, I need to cut my teeth on something simple.  So, I bought a kit off Amazon (that was a mistake), went to Tandy Leather, and bought some leather to make my wife a bag.  As soon as I tried using the irons in the kit, I went on Weaver and bought new irons.  I'm guessing that over the next few months, I'll be replacing everything in that kit.

And, hopefully after making a couple dozen wallets/bags/belts, I'll be ready to start making armor.  Between me, my wife, and our three kids, I have to assume I'll be making quite a bit of leather things, and probably start to marry the leather and wood together into other handmade items.

If you took the time to read this, thanks.  My name is Charlie, and I hope to stick around here for awhile :)

Welcome aboard, Charlie. Stick with this journey and you’re in for a treat. Ask lots of questions and post your work as you learn. Glad to have you here.

35 minutes ago, Retswerb said:

Welcome aboard, Charlie. Stick with this journey and you’re in for a treat. Ask lots of questions and post your work as you learn. Glad to have you here.

I will!  I REALLY want to get going, but the irons in the kit I bought were so crappy I couldn't punch through two pieces of leather at one time.  According to the USPS, my irons aren't here for another week...GAH!  I could drive to Weaver and back in a day.  Wish they had a retail location in my area.

A “true seeker” will never stop searching.

Enjoy your new journey......