Loudcherokee

Wallet card "slots" not pockets

Hey guys, 

Been browsing around looking at all kinds of leather goods trying to find inspiration, and have noticed a few wallet designs out there that use a slot, rather than t-pockets for their card slots. For example, the whole front piece of the card area is one solid piece of leather with 3 or 4 slots cut in it, rather than stacked t panels. 

How is this accomplished? What does the back of this looks like and how are the cards kept from being inserted too far? I cant figure it out and haven't come across any patterns that use this design, only individual t pockets. 

LC

With some fabric. I have never done any construction like this. One important part will be to make sure you use the correct glue/fabric combination for good adhesion. You can also stitch the fabric in place, my personal opinion is that it doesn't look that good with a stitch line under each pocket though.

I searched Youtube for an example. (Clip starts at 3:44) 

9 minutes ago, Danne said:

With some fabric. I have never done any construction like this. One important part will be to make sure you use the correct glue/fabric combination for good adhesion. You can also stitch the fabric in place, my personal opinion is that it doesn't look that good with a stitch line under each pocket though.

I searched Youtube for an example. (Clip starts at 3:44) 

Thats exactly what I was talking about! Thank you! 

Seems like that would make the finished piece thicker though, not thinner as mentioned in the video. I wonder what kind of fabric would be best for this application. 

LC

1 minute ago, Loudcherokee said:

Thats exactly what I was talking about! Thank you! 

Seems like that would make the finished piece thicker though, not thinner as mentioned in the video. I wonder what kind of fabric would be best for this application. 

LC

It will thinner compared to making "t-pockets" because you will use fabric around maybe 0.15-0.2mm. Not sure which fabric I would use though. 

13 minutes ago, Danne said:

It will thinner compared to making "t-pockets" because you will use fabric around maybe 0.15-0.2mm. Not sure which fabric I would use though. 

I found this. Looks like ribbon or "tyvek". Start at around 13 minutes. Sorry, I don't know how to make it start at that point in the link like you did earlier.

LC

Tyvek paper and double sided tape, you can get both at Makersleathersupply.com, I've never had any problems making them this way

15 hours ago, Loudcherokee said:

G'Day, I use the similar method of doing 'slots' . I  use kangaroo leather for my wallets, not sure if you have access to that, but its great for wallets with multiple slots etc. as the finished product isn't too thick, normal wallet thickness. 

I am (hopefully)  soon to make some wallets out of  some really bright  ' fluro  coloured' roo hides, can't wait actually, let my imagination run a bit wild  :)  . I'll try to take some pics . 

HS

14 hours ago, DustinSmith said:

Tyvek paper and double sided tape, you can get both at Makersleathersupply.com, I've never had any problems making them this way

I don't doubt you've had success this way.  I use the Tanners Bond double-sided tape from Tandy on projects and it sticks great.  I always stitch the connections, the tape is temporary in my case.  

Part of me doesn't "feel right" though, about attaching something solely with the tape.  That's probably my issue, not the tape's.

I was gonna suggest what most suggest around here -- look for a video :rofl: Which, of course, kinda negates the point of THIS site, really.  But I see somebody ALREADY did that - TWICE :rofl: