Brigg

Using a Filleteuse to make a fold line?

I am making projects from the Leatherwork School book and it shows using a heated tip like an F3 to create a crease line where she folds the leather over.

My assumption from looking at the pictures and reading the instructions is that this will make the leather easier to fold cleanly and evenly. I tried this with a 0.5mm chrome tanned calfskin lining and an FN2 tip and found that it did nothing...I mean it made a proper crease line. I played with turning up the heat and didn't really make much difference.

What could I be doing wrong? Or am I misunderstanding her instructions?

How thick is the leather you are trying to fold?

I'm not familiar with the course you're working from but 0.5mm chrome tan calfskin lining leather is pretty supple. I don't think it's going to hold a crease. You probably need a stiffer leather to accomplish that.

Regards,

Arturo

48 minutes ago, sbrownn said:

How thick is the leather you are trying to fold?

Oops.  I see you mentioned the thickness.  Maybe the particular tanning process is the culprit. 

0.5mm is the thickness recommended by the book. The book uses all Remy Carriat leather which is chrome tan...it is embossed though so it may be firmer. I've ordered samples of the leather. Will experiment with that.