resqman

Transport leatherworking Supplies for Youth Groups

I teach basic leatherworking to Scouts.  Simple 4 hr class.  Bang on some leather with stamps.  Dye or antique and apply clear finish. Hand sew a pre-packaged knife sheath kit. Simple stuff.  But it takes quite a bit of stuff to make it easy for the kids.  I have 18 granite slabs 6"x12" at 6.5 lbs each, 18 mallets, 18 sets of the basic 7 handle stamps, 18 swivel knifes, 9 pairs of scissors, 300 3d stamps, leather scraps, leather kits, thread, needles, dyes, antiques, clear finish, latex gloves, dye applicators, plastic table cloths, keyrings, snaps, rivets, snap/rivet setters, etc.   I have been using plastic tubs but not thrilled with rummaging thru the tubs hunting for stuff. 

The biggest issue are the granite slabs.  They are heavy but fragile.  The edges are a bit too sharp to let the kids carry between my vehicle and the pavilion.  I hate loading 18 rocks into my truck at home, unload at the class site, reload in my truck and unload at home.  Lots of trips carrying heavy stone.  Looking for some ideas on how to package the slabs so easier to store and transport.  Putting them in one tub doesn't work due to the weight.  6.5 lbs each x 18 is almost 120lbs.   Smaller tubs are usually not strong enough/ durable enough to carry around 3-4 slabs of granite. Every time you set it down, the granite tends to break/shatter plastic.  

Any ideas on how to build a mobile leatherworking shop that is relatively easy to put in vehicle, transport to outdoor venue, teach and reverse all home and store?

A. do the granite slabs need to be that large? I often use a chunk of marble that is only about 6 inches by 4 inches. Cut the slabs in half to 6 x 6. That'll reduce the weight.

b. get an angle grinder with a fine cutting disc on it and use that on the edges and sides. you'll soon have smooth edges

c. use a wooden fruit boxes/crates for them

d. mechanics tool chests for all the tools. you can probably get ones cheap in 'Harbor Frieght' [ name?] like the top part of this unit

1387951385_toolbox01s.jpg.64bfc2660e6f22125e3f8a400fabfd0c.jpg

I have one set of drawers just for 3D/2D stamps, one for sewing things, one for general purpose leather working tools, and one for spare tools and odd things

Modified Steamer trunk. As soon as I can I'm going to start to make one. 

Modified steamer trunk?  That sounds like a big heavy box instead of a light weight tub.   

Image result for steamer trunk

22 hours ago, resqman said:

I teach basic leatherworking to Scouts.  Simple 4 hr class.  Bang on some leather with stamps.  Dye or antique and apply clear finish. Hand sew a pre-packaged knife sheath kit. Simple stuff.  But it takes quite a bit of stuff to make it easy for the kids.  I have 18 granite slabs 6"x12" at 6.5 lbs each, 18 mallets, 18 sets of the basic 7 handle stamps, 18 swivel knifes, 9 pairs of scissors, 300 3d stamps, leather scraps, leather kits, thread, needles, dyes, antiques, clear finish, latex gloves, dye applicators, plastic table cloths, keyrings, snaps, rivets, snap/rivet setters, etc.   I have been using plastic tubs but not thrilled with rummaging thru the tubs hunting for stuff. 

The biggest issue are the granite slabs.  They are heavy but fragile.  The edges are a bit too sharp to let the kids carry between my vehicle and the pavilion.  I hate loading 18 rocks into my truck at home, unload at the class site, reload in my truck and unload at home.  Lots of trips carrying heavy stone.  Looking for some ideas on how to package the slabs so easier to store and transport.  Putting them in one tub doesn't work due to the weight.  6.5 lbs each x 18 is almost 120lbs.   Smaller tubs are usually not strong enough/ durable enough to carry around 3-4 slabs of granite. Every time you set it down, the granite tends to break/shatter plastic.  

Any ideas on how to build a mobile leatherworking shop that is relatively easy to put in vehicle, transport to outdoor venue, teach and reverse all home and store?

start with this idea maybe build your tool chest on a heavy duty dolly.  https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/rock-dolly/

one like this would be great when you got it in you can lay it down wheel it around  like a tool chest.https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-800-lb-Capacity-2-in-1-Convertible-Hand-Truck-CHT800P/100071520

Edited by chuck123wapati

4 hours ago, resqman said:

Modified steamer trunk?  That sounds like a big heavy box instead of a light weight tub.   

Image result for steamer trunk

yup that's what I will be working with.