rlevine

Suggestions on freeing frozen vertical shaft?

Hello! I've been lurking for a couple of months, and learning a lot. I'm amazed at how many of my google searches end up pointing me to this forum. Thanks for being here, and for creating such a rich, honest collection of knowledge and advice.

I'm looking for suggestions on freeing a stuck vertical shaft on a machine I'm rehabbing. It's labeled as a Tacsew T206RB, badged "SUPREME." ie, it's a Taiwanese 206RB/8BL. It has push-up reverse, and from what I've learned it looks like Consew 206RB machines, before they added the top oil reservoir and wick that heads out to the needle end. My guess is it came from Chikon Industrial Sewing Machine in New Taipei City, but I'm more familiar with the Chinese knitting clone business than sewing, so that's just a guess.

It's been very lightly used, and has none of the wear and scoring I've seen on production machines. The story I was told was that it was stored in a shed for 25 years, abandoned. It's cleaning up very well, but the vertical shaft won't budge. I've pulled the grub screws on the lower bevel gears, and the lower shaft spins fine, and the upper shaft will move slightly all along its length if I try to turn the handwheel gently, but the vertical shaft is tight. The catch is that I can't reach the set screws on the upper bevel gears, because of how the shaft is positioned, and I don't want to damage the upper gears by applying more force.  

I've been oiling it and letting it marinate, but other than that do the machine folks in the crowd have any suggestions for freeing the shaft? 

Thanks!  -- Rick

Hot air Heat it maybe ? , with direct heat, I have loosened up a lot of 'old' screw that have been torqued down for ages with soldering iron tip and direct small flame .

But larger area, like you describe . maybe just pump some heat to it for a time with a hair dryer on high-heat, or a heat gun set on low setting . then manually working back-forth slowly try to turn shaft .

Edited by nylonRigging

Kroil penetrating oil might. Or Bolt Buster. Might hold soldering iron against shaft. 

Bingo. Thanks to you both. Pointed a hair dryer down through the top access port for 10 minutes, and it's a happy machine. 

Rick

3 hours ago, rlevine said:

Bingo. Thanks to you both. Pointed a hair dryer down through the top access port for 10 minutes, and it's a happy machine. 

Rick

Good deal, that a little stress that you clear of now.. If I cant get old metal free and moving with heating, that when I start to get worried .

Hope your staying warm to ' It's Cold ' . I noticed your profile in Portland . I over west past of Hillsboro and the Ice is coming down here pretty steady now . seriously thinking of chaining up the 4x in morning to even get wife to work.

Edited by nylonRigging

Thanks! I've seen bent shafts and cracked castings from too much force. Sometimes it's hard to tell how distressed something is before you try to fix it. It was fun to see the shaft start to spin!

I'm in inner SE. We're shut down today. Last night it got just warm enough to coat everything with ice. Not too much snow, but we can stand on top of it!

Stay safe.

Rick