benlilly1

First custom dog collar

146550849_2888694028075642_8356413206910279003_n.thumb.jpg.d09dd617e57d613ca94046553ea0464d.jpgFirst ever dog collar prototype from scratch. Some mistakes I'll change on the next one. I have a commissioned one for a English Bulldog. 147003518_435488837885208_2898611801904794141_n.thumb.jpg.e2cc9d987072698a4ab8a1add9a846fd.jpg

Nicely done. Something to consider about the English Bulldog is their pork barrel necks. They have a tendency / ability to slip out of normal collars which work great when they are alongside or ahead of you but if they decide to sit their butt down or backup chances are they are out of the collar in a blink with a quick flick/duck of the head.

kgg

Nice work. I'll have to make one soon for my grandson's dog Gypsy.

My first thought when I saw this was to wonder if you'd thought about heat embossing powder where you paint on colour or glitter in the impression and fix with heat?

Please feel free to tell me to mind my own business.

That is a really nice collar, especially for a first go at a collar. Are those jiffy rivets at the buckle?

beautiful work indeed, i am also making collars for three American bully pups, mine, lol. the first tries have already been ruined by them seems they can pull real hard lol. One snapped the d ring  the other snapped the latch on the leash. They are only five months old. make sure you have a welded d ring.

14 hours ago, kgg said:

Nicely done. Something to consider about the English Bulldog is their pork barrel necks. They have a tendency / ability to slip out of normal collars which work great when they are alongside or ahead of you but if they decide to sit their butt down or backup chances are they are out of the collar in a blink with a quick flick/duck of the head.

kgg

Thanks Kgg!

Yeah, I wonder what would be the fix for that issue? The one for the bulldog will be for mostly show. The owner has a harness if he takes her anywhere which is good. 

10 hours ago, toxo said:

Nice work. I'll have to make one soon for my grandson's dog Gypsy.

My first thought when I saw this was to wonder if you'd thought about heat embossing powder where you paint on colour or glitter in the impression and fix with heat?

Please feel free to tell me to mind my own business.

Thanks, I just got this lettering so first time using them. Hadn't thought of using embossing powder. Now I need to decide what I'm doing on the next one. He wants it brown and a little carving on each side of the name and the rest he left up to me.

9 hours ago, Retswerb said:

That’s a nice looking collar, great job.

Thanks Retswerb!

7 hours ago, battlemunky said:

That is a really nice collar, especially for a first go at a collar. Are those jiffy rivets at the buckle?

Thanks, I'm using Chicago Screws.

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

beautiful work indeed, i am also making collars for three American bully pups, mine, lol. the first tries have already been ruined by them seems they can pull real hard lol. One snapped the d ring  the other snapped the latch on the leash. They are only five months old. make sure you have a welded d ring.

Interesting. I know the dog is very muscular. Hadn't thought about using a welded d-ring. Thanks Chuck!

21 minutes ago, benlilly1 said:

Thanks, I just got this lettering so first time using them. Hadn't thought of using embossing powder. Now I need to decide what I'm doing on the next one. He wants it brown and a little carving on each side of the name and the rest he left up to me.

Make sure you show us when you're done.

Another thing you can do with your letters is hot foil. If you check out my post on DIY hot foil press you'll see on the last couple of pics I had to have a play. Even though it's not wired up yet I wanted to see the effect so I heated the stamp up with a blowtorch. You do need some pressure but very briefly once you sort out the right temperature. Can't wait for it all to come together. I ordered an alphabet and holder on 6th Feb and just got an email saying it'll be shipped on the 20th Fed :o

Gold foil around that black Kate would be amazing. And you could even do it retrospectively. Good luck.

Edited by toxo

2 minutes ago, toxo said:

Make sure you show us when you're done.

Another thing you can do with your letters is hot foil. If you check out my post on DIY hot foil press you'll see on the last couple of pics I had to have a play. Even though it's not wired up yet I wanted to see the effect so I heated the stamp up with a blowtorch. You do need some pressure but very briefly once you sort out the right temperature. Can't wait for it all to come together. I ordered an alphabet and holder on 6th Feb and just got an email saying it'll be shipped on the 20th Fed :o

Would love to do hot foil but, my letters are Delrin stamps. A plastic that I use on my press. I will post the new collar when I'm done!

Acrylic paint and a small paint brush followed by several coats of acrylic varnish

Looks nice.  As I always ask pet collar makers, please consider using conway buckles.  This type of "heel bar" buckle causes the owner to go PAST where the collar fits to buckle it.  I dont mind suckin' my belly in a bit to hook my belt, but I dont like to ask a dog to suck in his neck.  The rest of the construction is exactly the same.

Do you mean as in Show Dog?

kgg

Nice work there.

For all my work on dog collars, leads, harness work i always use good quality equine hardware much stronger and more durable.

Hope this helps

JCUK