Nightshade

Binding attachments

Thank you Uwe, that neatly solves a problem I’ve been having. 

I see all the binder shells are for 9mm thick material. Does it matter if you’re binding over thinner stuff? I’m assuming the 9mm is a maximum thickness, not an absolute, so if I’m only binding over 3 or 6mm it should still work. 

Thanks.

On 3/1/2021 at 12:24 AM, amuckart said:

I see all the binder shells are for 9mm thick material. Does it matter if you’re binding over thinner stuff? I’m assuming the 9mm is a maximum thickness, not an absolute, so if I’m only binding over 3 or 6mm it should still work. 

On the thinner material you should have no problems . I did Bind some thinner 4mm thickness and was all good, and I did some test sews on different thicknesses after getting it all together and working out some of the bugs . I am pretty swamped this week on getting some orders finished and out the door, Then I will put more time into fine tuning there binding kit .
 ------

The KHsew parts kit, I am pretty impressed with  . This IS NOT the normal that I am used to when getting aftermarket sew parts off the mainland PRC . KHsew parts Quality Control look really Nice, the Fit to machine is spot-on, and tool and finish is really good . This parts kit is a well thought-out piece of kit, and it's great starting point with the 441 machine to get yourself Binding .
I have ZERO regrets on the KH 441 Binder parts kit, it is a keeper for me, ( IMHO ) It is 98% all there for your Binding needs, and I will build and modify off of it, to make a kickass binder set-up for my personal needs.
------

OK .. The KW 441 kit,  will and does seam bind right out the box . It is plug-in and play parts kit . This Is a Nice Seam Bind 441 kit .. But it can and Will do better, and I have never bought even a high-dollar seam binder that I have never had to put some work into, to get that professional finish look I am after .
If this is all the work I have to do get the end results needed with the purchase of a new Seam Binder. Then I feel like one lucky SOB .... LOL .

Couple things that I am going to modify . change and shape/cut a different outside press foot . And am going to add-on an extension off the throats exit, for material and binding guide/edge to push against feeding out .
( for me ) .. when doing some test runs . That is only  negative I see, 'You Will' , be constantly fighting to keep the Binding Tape's rolled edge 100% consistently tight against your materials edge when sewing. The Bindings finished rolled edge will have some soft hollow feel if not getting some added push surface leading into the machines feed .

Edited by nylonRigging

Finally got caught-up with orders and a couple hours to play with and do a little cut and fit on the new 441 binder this weekend .. and want to add:   on the presser foot set with this Binder kit , this is ' Very 1st time '  that I have bought an aftermarket presser foot set,  and it was perfectly cut to Spec. with the center needle foot shaft hole cut to correct size for a none sloppy fit to shaft . and centered perfect alignment between the outside presser feet . Also the whole kit looks pretty sweet on it's machine work and finish .
Not finished yet with what I am doing now with  the Binder,  I just setting it up, and getting a good feel for what they sent me . Also waiting on an order of 1" nylon bias type2 to start in getting it appropriately dialed . The machine I am adapting the Kwon Hing kit to, is an ( Artisan model ) .

So,  No Way I cutting that nice Kwon Hing outside Press foot that I got with that Binder kit . So I cut/trimmed another cheap crappy Chicom foot that had laying around .  I cut both sides of presser foot to appropriate lengths . Then I soldered extra Heal Plate to the Foot, to mate with the raised Needle Plate that has some nice knurled surface to mate with the foot's heal pressing down on materials .Then added a push bar off the Binder throat exit, for feeding the materials edge nice and snug to the Binding . also added a couple different mounting screw on mounting Binder to the swing-arm .
-  -  I Just grabbed some scrap off the bench, and this is the 1st thing I Seam bound for a test . so I think the KH 441 Binding kit looks pretty promising for putting out some good results when people get it all tuned to there taste .

517969877_Binder11.jpg.0c07f1f492f633eb84d22c4d61806977.jpg
263434444_Binder22.jpg.19073328969e00836c80b251950bf43e.jpg

1600559724_Binder33.jpg.0a1c200d35f20666a049bc270c017c1b.jpg

-

Edited by nylonRigging

1 hour ago, nylonRigging said:

cheap crappy Chicom foot

ha ha - haven´t heard or read the term Chicom for a long time and I never draw a line to sewing machines. Like it, will keep it in mind! :lol:

12 hours ago, Constabulary said:

ha ha - haven´t heard or read the term Chicom for a long time and I never draw a line to sewing machines. Like it, will keep it in mind! :lol:

I was absolutely stunned by a refreshing slap in the face, from Craftsmanship  ...LOL . . those KHsew 441 presser foot set in the Binder kit are, Sweet .. perfect in-spec. machine cut and finish, and along with there raised needle plate and feed Dog design, was absolutely Beautiful . I noticed they had other high-shank presser feet I am going to check-out, along with there needle gauge sets from there site.

For majority of the ChiCom/china mainland products .. including 441 presser feet sets  ...  all bought off , ebay, amazon , and other online retailers . Have bought a dozen of the ( blanket foot/needle foot ) the full sized '441 ski's' for cut and grind . There really cheap-$ price, but all bought were disgusting, absolute ZERO craftsmanship and quality control . ALL have had over sized shaft hole, and All have 'never' been Square and Center . I was going to cut/grind and bastardize them anyway, so i used most of them, some I throw in the trash.

828248237_KHpresserfeet1.jpg.6800869cb878968bcbbe3f6619b5167b.jpg

Quick Update Bump-up ..
Finally been putting a couple hours behind that KH swingarm binder on the 441 shuttle doing a new pattern, and working out some small bugs with also getting a feel for the way it likes to be fed .
I just using some 1" type2 nylon binding tape binding around radius's on some panels . It starting to shape-up to be a pretty decent working Binder .
The Machine size itself is a little bit of a bully for binding, but better to have to much needle, than not enough punch power .
-
438750980_441binder.thumb.jpg.900c416a0c3a4a1994bef920012e62f2.jpg
-

Very nice!  :spoton: May I ask where do you buy the binding tape in OD and Koyote?

Edited by Constabulary

14 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Very nice!  :spoton: May I ask where do you buy the binding tape in OD and Koyote?

for purchasing Binding and Webbing's , If I getting more than 1-k yards, or wanting a very specific dye color/tone for matching materials .  I will just go direct to Bally Ribbons Mills .
I live in Oregon, so if I ordering them from a supply Vendor, I usually just stay here on the US. W.coast here, and usually order/buy them from John Howard Co. down in Chino California .
I know I posting Pic. of Heavy Nylon Binding, 'But'  I find the X-Over from Binding Leather or Fabrics is really very similar/same for Setting up Binder mechanics and feeding set-up.

Is the 1st time I ever setup a machine with this large a needle for Binding . But the Second I seen those Pic's Uwe posted of the KH set-up, I had to get it to use . For last 30 years I just have been fond of, and sticking to just Needle-Feed machines, single needle and double needle,  like Singer 111/211 and newer juki model also . There is a new learning curve I am grasping because the 441 clone/model is flatass just a brute compared to the machines I normally Bind with, but the thing will needle threw about whatever you can get shoved threw the binder throat . 441 shuttle also seams to work well with the lighter weight 138 and 207 threads .

Edited by nylonRigging

On 2/14/2021 at 3:56 PM, jfisher said:

The International Organization for Standardization (ISO; / ˈaɪɛsoʊ /) is an international standard -setting body composed of representatives from various national standards organizations. Founded on 23 February 1947, the organization promotes worldwide proprietary, industrial, and commercial standards.  It is an indicator that a business is putting a quality product out.

That's how I read it - my old man wrote the standard for Pressure Vessels, the stock in trade of nuclear power plants for the foreseeable future (or until they get fusion working, and possibly even then).

On 6/13/2021 at 1:16 AM, Constabulary said:

Another good place for quality nylon binding is:

https://www.rockywoods.com/NARROW-GOODS/Binding-Grosgrain-Ribbon?display=table

You probably will want 5038 binding tape, it's the stuff you will most commonly see on tactical gear and durable softgoods. If you have a reseller/wholesale cert and are going to go through a decent amount of binding Texcel has excellent quality and prices on binding tape and webbing. Their mil-spec binding tape is a bit over $0.16/yd on 300yd rolls, I suspect Rockywoods sources their binding tape from here as they (I'm near certain) source some of their mil-spec webbing from Texcel. I think min order from Texcel is $100 but their minimum order quantity is by the roll, rather than by the case. 

http://www.texcelindustries.com/

Edited by Esket