AlamoJoe2002

Hand Sanitizer as Reducer for Fiebings Pro Dye

Any experience on using ethyl alcohol and glycerin (Purell) hand sanitizer to reduce Fiebings Pro Dye which is denatured alcohol based?

I'm thinking reducing and thickening with glycerin will give me a lighter color and more control in applying.

Thanks, JOE 

Replying mainly so I can follow along and see how this turns out. Post pics if its interesting.

I experimented on an old leather belt using a  Fiebings Pro light brown dye  at 1 part dye to 4 parts hand sanitizer, 1:4 ratio.

It reacted exactly as any alcohol reducer would. Didn't notice any benefit from the glycol. It may be a hindered  as the effect on a old belt that wasn't stripped of the top sealer, as expected, had an non-uniform appearance. I used acetone and partly removed the existing top seal and am just trying now to get a consistent color on the well worn belt. 

Conclusion: Not cost effective to use as a reducer. However, will work is that is the only item on hand (humorous pun attempt)

Respectfully,,

JOE

I’m sure you know what your doing and my husbands right about me unnecessarily worrying about things lol but I got to say this, please be careful mixing chemicals cause you never know what chemical reaction happens like making poisonous fumes or igniting a fire or ect.

Anyways it is interesting that Purell could be used that way, I rushed out to get a reducer right before the storm hit Texas but had I known I could’ve used purell i would’ve stayed home and used that instead lol