rlevine

Favor to ask - tension assembly measurent on 206RB

I'm replacing a tension assembly on a Tacsew T206RB, and the (admittedly cheap) replacement I got on Ebay seems to have some differences from the one I'm replacing. Notably, the upper screw hole is in the wrong place.

If anyone has a Consew 206RB or a newer machine, and a caliper, and feels up to it, would you be willing to measure the distance between the edge of the upper screw hole and the thread controller hole on the back of the tension plate? See the attached pic for a better description. The replacement I bought is about 1mm shorter, seems very cheaply made, and has several other differences that make me wonder whether I got a bad part, or if my clone is just gratuitously different. (So far, I haven't found other incompatibility issues , but that might be because I haven't tripped over them yet.)

I could bodge the assembly a bit to get it to work, but it seems a shame to start with an ugly part for a renovation if there are better ones available.

Thanks!

Rick

tensioner_measurement_reduced.jpg

My Consew 206rb (part is stamped Seiko) measures 56.33mm at that point.

I tend to keep the main tension plate and swap parts off of a new assembly - cheap replacements are notorious for being not quite right.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Don!

Depending on the size of the thread controller hole, that's much closer than the replacement I found, which is short, at 55mm. It also has some other problems, like the rear screw heads are too large, and the thread controller base is slightly large for its seat. I think I'll pitch it back to ebay.

I'd love to keep the plate, but the tension stud has been snapped off at the start of the threads, and the stud is swaged in place. :(

I found another one, and the pics are more promising, now that I know which bits are important! More expensive, but I get what I pay for.

Thanks, again!

Rick

Just drill the hole large enough as needed and keep going.  I'd be lying if I said it was the 1st time I've done it.  Other tensions don't have a lot of generic availability like this one and often we have to make do with what's available.  

tensioner_highlighted.jpg

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Yep. That's where I'm ending up. And filing down the plate a bit, and using parts from the old one as I can. Thanks, Gregg!

Done. Don and Gregg, thanks for your help.

Rick