Mynx

Looking for Information on a Singer 51WSV28

Hi there everyone, I just picked up a 51WSV28 similar to the one below, but am struggling to find any information on it. Looking for a service manual or something similar. I'm starting to think that this machine is really a 51W101 which I was able to find a parts list for. Did not find a service manual for the 51W101. My Machines serial number is: W1387801

51WSV28
http://www.usa-dealer.net/SINGER-51WSV28-POST-SEWING-MACHINE-ZIG-ZAG_p_517.html#

image.png

51W101
http://www.sieck.de/en/machines/sewing/zick-zack-machines/?produkt=9854
image.png
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Just need a few replacement parts to get my machine started. I can provide pictures of my machine too if needed.

Edited by Northmount
Attached pics from website

Very cool machine - a Zig Zag Post bed machine. The Zig Zag cam kinda reminds me of the Singer 32 flat bed machine.

W1387801 dates it to 1951 - quite interesting because it is the early 51w design but 1950´s era made. :blink: You learn something new every day.

Would like to see more pictures of your own machine. :)

I have  restored a "basic" Singer 51w a while ago.

Date W Prefix Singer 1940-1960 (2).jpg

Edited by Constabulary

Thank you! That is very helpful. I didn’t see anything on ismacs with a W prefix. I saw your restoration of a 51WSV2 and was kind of expecting it to be similar to this one, but after further examination I can say they don’t look too similar. I did take a look at the Singer 32 you mentioned and it does look like the zigzagging mechanism is very similar. Here are some additional photos of my machine. I had to take the original drive wheel off because it had some broken set screws.

https://imgur.com/gallery/a9Sp328

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Northmount
Attached pics from 3rd party host

I started doing some part lookup browsing and found that it’s actually a 17w class upper portion. Makes me start to wonder if this was really just someone’s cool experiment. 

89C50CB6-CBEE-44FF-9A8E-F30983713963.jpeg

The "W" serial number chart once came from LW member Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Singer 32 just came to my mind first but Singer 17w is the one - obviously.

You most likely will need one or two part donor machines. :wacko: Not necessarily 51w ZZ machines but maybe a 17w at least.

When I looked for parts for my Singer 51WSV2 I found that the OEM hooks where available new somewhere for around $80 or so. But I was able to install a Durkopp hook I had in my parts bin so it did cost me a buck. Its a slightly different hook but it works.

The hook slide plate is still available Singer # 221215

5 hours ago, Northmount said:

Please post photos here instead of linking to 3rd party hosting sites.  Any changes in permissions, moving files, deleting, host out of business result in making the thread useless in the future.

Sorry about that. The picture files were too big to upload directly and didn’t want to lose resolution from compressing them. 

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

The "W" serial number chart once came from LW member Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Singer 32 just came to my mind first but Singer 17w is the one - obviously.

You most likely will need one or two part donor machines. :wacko: Not necessarily 51w ZZ machines but maybe a 17w at least.

When I looked for parts for my Singer 51WSV2 I found that the OEM hooks where available new somewhere for around $80 or so. But I was able to install a Durkopp hook I had in my parts bin so it did cost me a buck. Its a slightly different hook but it works.

The hook slide plate is still available Singer # 221215

I actually ordered that hook slide plate last night! I’m still looking for a suitable take up lever, but don’t really want to spend $30 on something that may or may not work. 

Another thought came to mind about this machine. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a zig zag machine with a bobbin mounted on a vertical axis. They always seem to be horizontally mounted on flat bed machines. Like on the 107w. Just wondering if you had any thoughts on that.

F898F342-34C6-42A5-A586-39479C088D8E.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Mynx said:

Sorry about that. The picture files were too big to upload directly and didn’t want to lose resolution from compressing them. 

1680 x 1050 and smaller is the resolution of many computer screens (unless you are doing high res photos or some gaming systems).  And of course many people are using smart phones and tablets with even smaller resolution.

FYI: With your portrait photo showing the post bed, resized to 1680 pixels high produced a medium resolution jpeg of 131KB.  Lots of room for many photos and able to stay within the limits.

Thanks for posting here with your next photo.  It is much appreciated by members, and especially in the future if any permissions, etc. are changed.  Also good for those living in the fringes of the internet.  Don't have to wait 2 hours for a photo to download.