mike1967

Anyone done business with Osborne Leather Tools

Anyone on here done business with the company Osborne Leather Tools? I’ve been trying to contact them about an order I put in a week ago, but they haven’t responded to email & the phone number goes to a fax machine.

Mike

I've done some business in 2020 with them.  To be honest I'd almost not be surprised if they tank and go under.  CSO's quality seems to be taking endless nosedives.  20 years ago I noticed quality wasn't what it was in the past. now days in 2021 I notice it's not what it was in 2001.....

I get an order from them almost every week. they have wonderful customer service. dominick is a great guy. have you tried calling this no.? 1-973-483-3232 that is their phone no. not fax. 

i never have trouble getting ahold of them. hope this helps. If they go under it will be the end of a 190 yr. tradition.

They maybe in lockdown.

kgg

I got in touch with them & they are taking care of order. I believe they were a little behind on shipping because of COVID. Thank you for replies.

Mike

On 2/28/2021 at 11:24 PM, Cumberland Highpower said:

I've done some business in 2020 with them.  To be honest I'd almost not be surprised if they tank and go under.  CSO's quality seems to be taking endless nosedives.  20 years ago I noticed quality wasn't what it was in the past. now days in 2021 I notice it's not what it was in 2001.....

Hope they don't go under, i do agree their quality has dipped but think its because they are competing with cheap tools from the far east and yes i do know they are not all cheap and nasty from there, but i will pass on them myself from one certain country who seem to be flooding the market with copies of copies. Seen it happen here with Dixons their quality dipped towards the end too trying to compete with cheap imports, but their older tools will last a life time and some, that also may have had something to with their down fall too their tools lasting so long so no no need to replace them.

JCUK 

On 2/28/2021 at 4:24 PM, Cumberland Highpower said:

No kidding.  I bought a strap punch a few years back that was surprisingly dull and poorly finished.  

3 hours ago, coxdenis32 said:

It seems to me that they changed their mail and local address or did not set up a redirect of their site. I collaborated with this company in 2018.

As a wholesale manufacturer, Osborne is really not set up for retail sales.  They established a couple of retail websites a few years ago, but the sites are not well maintained (and prices tend to be higher than list).

Edited by ButtonLady
Forgot a word... (duh)

Funny this post came up. Yesterday I was making leashes and the handle on my Osborne oval punch broke off, looks like the weld broke on both sides, I have used this punch only a few times. I called Osborne in NJ to ask about warranty , the person answering the phone spoke such broken english I literally could not understand her/him. She/he said someone would call me back with an answer ,and Im still waiting for that call back. I have CS Osborne draw gauge's 50+ years old I would not part with, but this CS Osborne 151 punch is JUNK !

The old CS Osborne tools were very well made.  Their stuff now is basically junk.  No attention to quality or craftsmanship.  It is sad, really.  If you want quality punches and tools at a fair price, check out Weaver Leather Supply.  I have many of their tools and for the money they really are well made and sharp.

On 3/19/2021 at 3:43 PM, Dave Richardson said:

I called Osborne in NJ to ask about warranty , the person answering the phone spoke such broken english I literally could not understand her/him. She/he said someone would call me back with an answer ,and Im still waiting for that call back.

Osborne is in the middle of an emergency shutdown due to a Covid outbreak in the factory.  Calls are being routed to Massasoit Tackband in Massachusetts, one of their recent acquisitions.  They don't normally answer phones, and yes... many of their employees are immigrants with limited English.  They're doing the best they can.

Please understand this is a highly unusual situation.  I can't speak to your other concerns, but I can explain this one.

3 hours ago, ButtonLady said:

Osborne is in the middle of an emergency shutdown due to a Covid outbreak in the factory.  Calls are being routed to Massasoit Tackband in Massachusetts, one of their recent acquisitions.  They don't normally answer phones, and yes... many of their employees are immigrants with limited English.  They're doing the best they can.

Please understand this is a highly unusual situation.  I can't speak to your other concerns, but I can explain this one.

The pandemic doesn't explain the lousy tools I got from them four years ago.

54 minutes ago, sbrownn said:

The pandemic doesn't explain the lousy tools I got from them four years ago.

Absolutely not!  When they have returned to full operation, definitely contact them regarding their guarantee:

We will replace, free of charge, any tool which may prove unsatisfactory in performance if sent for inspection, freight prepaid. Tools which are known to have given reasonable service, or have been misused, or damaged, will not be considered defective.

14 hours ago, ButtonLady said:

Absolutely not!  When they have returned to full operation, definitely contact them regarding their guarantee:

We will replace, free of charge, any tool which may prove unsatisfactory in performance if sent for inspection, freight prepaid. Tools which are known to have given reasonable service, or have been misused, or damaged, will not be considered defective.

It's easier to just sharpen them myself.  It's difficult to buy a truly "sharp" tool from anyone anymore.  Most of the tools I have purchased with the exception of Terry Knipscheild's knives, aren't even as sharp as an X-Acto blade when they arrive.

3 hours ago, sbrownn said:

It's easier to just sharpen them myself.

I don't know much (actually nothing) about leather knives, but I do know Osborne's round button cutters are not honed to a sharp edge at the factory.  We send ours out to Bob McBride, literally the only guy we trust:  www.bobbymactheknife.com

We are not affiliated in any way, we don't get a discount for referrals... we just love the work he does (and pay the same rate as everyone else).

19 hours ago, ButtonLady said:

4 hours ago, sbrownn said:

It's easier to just sharpen them myself.  It's difficult to buy a truly "sharp" tool from anyone anymore.  Most of the tools I have purchased with the exception of Terry Knipscheild's knives, aren't even as sharp as an X-Acto blade when they arrive.

My first Round knife was a Osborne really liked it sadly got damaged so asked some if they could repair it came back worse so i contacted the place i got it from 25 years before ( H Webber & sons ) to see if i could get a replacement handle to fix it myself,  they asked what had happened i told them they said send it back they will send a new one even though the fault was caused by me trusting someone else to fix it for me, great after sales sadly the replacement was nowhere near as good as the old one.  I can get it sharp but won't hold that edge for long. Which led me to as my better half for a nice Christmas present a Texas Rosebud knife from Terry Knipschield what a knife - had it 4 years and it's never been near a stone in that time.  But do hope Osborne can get their quality to what it once was so they don't go the same way as Dixons. 

JCUK

My guess is that Osborne won't rejuvenate their quality and has already lost their customer base.  I wonder who owns Osborne now? 

34 minutes ago, sbrownn said:

I wonder who owns Osborne now? 

Osborne is still a private company owned by the Osborne family.

12 hours ago, ButtonLady said:

Osborne is still a private company owned by the Osborne family.

Thanks