Brad2017

Please / Quick Recommendations between 2 Leather Machines

Hi All-

Im stuck and need some quick advice please. I have narrowed it down to 2 machines but keep going back and forth between the two. I’m mainly sewing webbing/ multiple layers and some medium leather ( like belt thickness) - not sewn together. 92 - 138 thread.....love to do one more step up but I don’t think either can handle. 

Seiko STH-8BLD-3 
Juki 1541s

Seiko seems like an older design but a proven design that is simple. Built tough with all metal parts that will probably outlast me.

Juki has rave reviews and a more modern design. Seems harder to learn and parts more expensive. Some plastic parts on inside?

Both have same servo Family Sew 550 servo. How slow will they sew turned way down? Most important thing is reliability and simplicity? 

Please please- give me a few opinions as I’m buying one of them tomorrow. 

Thank you for any and all responses. 

All the best. 

Edited by Brad2017

To attract the attention of experts on this subject, you should change your post title to be more specific, like this:

Please / Quick Recommendations between 2 leather sewing machines

Thanks Djole- edit made. 

Given that they have very similar capabilities and are set up with identical motors, if the prices are identical I’d recommend the Juki since resale would be a little higher.  Just show a potential buyer the built in bobbin winder and thumb through the really nice manual with the soundtrack to Hamilton playing in the background and it’s sure to sell for as much as you’re paying for it now.   Don’t let the details in the Juki manual get the best of you - it will be just as easy to use.

Having said that, for personal use I’m a fan of more simple oiling systems, separate bobbin winders, and older more traditional designs and would get the Seiko.

As for the reducer, the best advice is to sew on a machine with a reducer and you’ll be sold on it.

The good news is you can’t go wrong either way.   Any new machine is exciting - have fun with it!

Edited by DonInReno

Doninreno- thank you!!!

11 hours ago, Brad2017 said:

Seiko STH-8BLD-3 
Juki 1541s

Both machines are compound feed. I would take a sample of the thickest/toughest item you are planning on sewing along with you. Test both machines with the maximum thread size you planning on using. Compare the results / sound and feel of both machines.

The Seiko is rated to take up to a #22 needle which is the minimum size needed for V138 thread when used for fabric / thin / soft materials or V92 in thicker materials.

The Juki is rated to take up to a #24 needle which is the minimum size needed for V207 when used for fabric / thin / soft materials or V138 in thicker materials. The Juki will take V138 thread top and bobbin all day long.

I have two Juki's a Juki 1181N walking foot for lighter / thinner materials and the Juki 1541S for the heavier items. That way I don't have to dumb down the 1541S. Depending on what your needs present/future are and money is not an issue I would choose Juki products every time for build quality and resale value. Buy Once, Cry Once.

kgg

Kgg- thank you !!!

I ended up purchasing the Juki 1541s.

Thank you for your responses. 

6 hours ago, Brad2017 said:

I ended up purchasing the Juki 1541s.

Glad you got a machine. Read the manuals that should have come with your Juki before you start using the machine. Out of curiosity what was your deciding factor to purchase one over the other.

kgg

Hi Kgg

i think the final straw was the needle size / resell value. I’ll report back on it.

All the best. 

Just an update- the Juki 1541s was purchased through Greg at Keystone. Good price and very patient with all my questions. 

That’s awesome!  Good choice!

Keystones is a good crew.  I drove from Va to Their store for machine service.  They did it while I got lunch.  Highly recommend.