Brigg

Favorite Edge Paint?

Favorite Edge Paint?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Edge Paint Manufacturer?

• Fenice
    • Fiebing's Edge Kote
    • Vernis
    • Giardini Dense
    • Giardini Basic
    • Stahl
    • Uniters

What is your favorite edge paint and why?

I am trying to learn how to get a nice edge finish on chrome tan leather with edge paint. I have Fiebing's Edge Kote in black and brown and have yet to get a good result. I also have three bottles of Uniters as well as their primer and gloss finish and I am getting much better results with Uniters. I want to replace my black and brown edge kote and I am wondering if I should try another brand.

I have attempted heating Uniters and I am not sure what is supposed to happen visually. I know if it smokes it is too hot so I get hot enough not to smoke but all I seem to do is make it look worse. I use the wax spatula tip on my electric creasing machine.

Uniters is good.  Prime, paint and use your creaser to stroke the edge.  Speed of stroke is dependent on your heat setting.  You just have to experiment.  I have better success with an "S" tip.  You want to spread and smoosh the edge paint around until it is smooth and uniform.

I put my vote on Fenice, because I know it works good. Good durability (without primer and just heat on first layer) I can get a good finish with that paint. 

I also have started to use Uniters a little bit (EP2000) and so far I like that paint also. And I have done tests without primer, and with different types of primers from Uniters.

But this question can be a little complicated. 

All the paints in your list have a good reputation, except Fiebings (This is my opinion, I have never seen a really good result with Fiebings, and I think other brands are better options, no matter how you use your paint.

Questions you have to ask yourself.

1. How many coats of paint are you willing to use? (How much time do you want to spend on painting the edges)

2. Are you doing small or large things (For example if I made large bags with painted edges I would probably look into Uniters EP Full in combination with one coat of Uniters EP2000, or try one of the paints from Giardini.

3. Do you need to be able to mix your own colors. (Uniters, Giardini and Fenice give you this option from charts or with Uniters a color reader.

And test different brands and see what you prefer to work with, and what is easy to source where you live. 

Keep in mind that Vernis 600 have an expire date where it goes bad. It doesn't happen with Fenice, I've had some bottles for five years (I do pour them into smaller bottles though, to not expose my larger bottles to oxygen and contaminate them with leather "dust".

I have a guide here on the forum for Fenice, and I use that method for Uniters too, it might not be they way you prefer to do it, but check it out if you want too.

6 minutes ago, Danne said:

I put my vote on Fenice, because I know it works good. Good durability (without primer and just heat on first layer) I can get a good finish with that paint. 

I also have started to use Uniters a little bit (EP2000) and so far I like that paint also. And I have done tests without primer, and with different types of primers from Uniters.

But this question can be a little complicated. 

All the paints in your list have a good reputation, except Fiebings (This is my opinion, I have never seen a really good result with Fiebings, and I think other brands are better options, no matter how you use your paint.

Questions you have to ask yourself.

1. How many coats of paint are you willing to use? (How much time do you want to spend on painting the edges)

2. Are you doing small or large things (For example if I made large bags with painted edges I would probably look into Uniters EP Full in combination with one coat of Uniters EP2000, or try one of the paints from Giardini.

3. Do you need to be able to mix your own colors. (Uniters, Giardini and Fenice give you this option from charts or with Uniters a color reader.

And test different brands and see what you prefer to work with, and what is easy to source where you live. 

Keep in mind that Vernis 600 have an expire date where it goes bad. It doesn't happen with Fenice, I've had some bottles for five years (I do pour them into smaller bottles though, to not expose my larger bottles to oxygen and contaminate them with leather "dust".

I have a guide here on the forum for Fenice, and I use that method for Uniters too, it might not be they way you prefer to do it, but check it out if you want too.

I will take a look at your guide. I am not set in any particular way yet as I am not getting consistent enough results.

1. Right now I am not doing more than three coats (not including primer). I want a nice looking finish that it as good as finish I see on Hermes, Moynat, and Goyard products...I think around here that would be considered good not great.

2. I am mostly doing small things at the moment.

3. I do not need to mix my own colors.

Do you know where I can buy Fenice edge paint in the US?

20 minutes ago, Brigg said:

I will take a look at your guide. I am not set in any particular way yet as I am not getting consistent enough results.

1. Right now I am not doing more than three coats (not including primer). I want a nice looking finish that it as good as finish I see on Hermes, Moynat, and Goyard products...I think around here that would be considered good not great.

2. I am mostly doing small things at the moment.

3. I do not need to mix my own colors.

Do you know where I can buy Fenice edge paint in the US?

I usually do 5-7 coats. And never used primer. Don't quote me on this, but for example I don't think Nitz use primer for regular leather and alligator/croc and he use mostly Uniters. 

I think Hermès use Stahl (Might not be the same formula we would get) Delvaux use Fenice, Moynat and Goyard no idea. Also if you look at the edge finish on Hermès products, or Santoni watch straps (IWC) for example, it's not perfect. I would say for example that my edge finish is way better than IWC, but still IWC Santoni straps look way better than mine. So it's important to not only focus on one thing. 

Sorry,  I live in Europe. Campbell Randall sell Fenice in US though. If you would like to mix your own colors, ask them if they can order (if they don't have it in stock) The Fenice section lacquer kit, it's not super expensive, and you get the mixing base colors, primer, a bottle for diluting paint, and also a mixing chart. https://campbell-randall.com/shop/edge-paint

Never really see it mentioned but I have always bought Leading Edge from the Identity Store in the UK and have found it good. You can't use heat with it, but then I have never really found the need. I have a couple of key pouches that I did several years ago. They are in my pocket every day and have had some abuse over that time but the edge paint is still fine.

Edited by Dunluce

9 hours ago, Danne said:

I usually do 5-7 coats. And never used primer. Don't quote me on this, but for example I don't think Nitz use primer for regular leather and alligator/croc and he use mostly Uniters. 

I think Hermès use Stahl (Might not be the same formula we would get) Delvaux use Fenice, Moynat and Goyard no idea. Also if you look at the edge finish on Hermès products, or Santoni watch straps (IWC) for example, it's not perfect. I would say for example that my edge finish is way better than IWC, but still IWC Santoni straps look way better than mine. So it's important to not only focus on one thing. 

Sorry,  I live in Europe. Campbell Randall sell Fenice in US though. If you would like to mix your own colors, ask them if they can order (if they don't have it in stock) The Fenice section lacquer kit, it's not super expensive, and you get the mixing base colors, primer, a bottle for diluting paint, and also a mixing chart. https://campbell-randall.com/shop/edge-paint

1 liter for $10-24 !? Why is Fenice so cheap compared to the others? Am I looking at a different formulation for use with machines? They have the Matte and Matte Plus versions. The Matte Plus has more colors is that what you use?

Supposedly Amy Roke edge paint is the Hermes formulation of Stahl but they aren't shipping it out of China at the moment.

1 hour ago, Brigg said:

1 liter for $10-24 !? Why is Fenice so cheap compared to the others? Am I looking at a different formulation for use with machines? They have the Matte and Matte Plus versions. The Matte Plus has more colors is that what you use?

Supposedly Amy Roke edge paint is the Hermes formulation of Stahl but they aren't shipping it out of China at the moment.

I don't know what my version is, we have small bottles here in Europe, and I have used them, we also have the larger 1l bottles. But haven't used them. Fenice products: https://docdro.id/ruxXTCD

Uniters also have different viscosity.

EP1000 (PU based glossy)

EP2000 (PU based matt) Standard and high viscosity

EP5000 (PU acrylic based matt)

EP Thinner

EP Thickener

And primers

EP Filler

EP Full  One coat of EP Full and one coat of EP2000 give a rounded nice edge.

And a lot of other products like EP sealer, EP fiber glue,  EP paste, EP anti-foam, EP fluo, EP metallic.

Edited by Danne

uniters and fenice get my money ... i also started with edge koat and did one project with horrible results and never used it again.

i then tried giardini which had better results but i found it to be to thick for my liking.

i can get a really really great looking edge with 3-5 layers of uniters or fenice with sanding in between and then a light wax buff :thumbsup:

Fenice is the easiest brand you can get from any market, But you should polish the edge by bee wax after iron.

3 hours ago, LZpattern said:

Fenice is the easiest brand you can get from any market, But you should polish the edge by bee wax after iron.

I also melt wax on the edge as the last step and polish. An alternative to bees wax is paraffin. I prefer paraffin, but try both :)

3 hours ago, Danne said:

I also melt wax on the edge as the last step and polish. An alternative to bees wax is paraffin. I prefer paraffin, but try both :)

Yes you are correct bee wax + paraffin is perfect:thumbsup:

I buy  Fenice and Uniters.  The Fenice can be power burnished.  The Uniters to a degree also.  But don't get carried away.  When I say power burnished I mean when using a FC2E.

I've actually used quite a bit of Weaver's edge paint in the past, I think LCI is the supplier.  It's not a latex edge product like the 2 above, more of an acrylic I guess but for certain applications, I found it gave much better coverage on one coat than the 2 above.  It's nowhere as durable though.

Edited by Cumberland Highpower