Sign in to follow this  
TonySFLDLTHR

Customizing a Belt

Here is a video we did a couple weeks ago. We show how to find the middle of a belt to put a name in. Also, we talk about and show how to space letters. It is an hour long, but we have fun and answer some other questions. 

Customizing a Belt
https://youtu.be/9-CfbHUnw1I

Uh, yeah - I usually don't comment on videos, cuz ... I don't generally care for marketing thinly disguised as "instruction" or "help".  But since you admit you're addressing "other questions" I suppose that's a start ;)

So to add, ...

• I would never "center" a belt by fold 'n' eyeball, but each his own.  The real issue here is the measurement WILL work (the belt will fit) since you're measuring the existing belt and the new belt the same way (hole to fold), but the name is going to be centered ONLY IF you're using the same buckle or one close to the same LENGTH.   And,
  • My daughter says that girl's shirt is "cute".

To illustrate the issue with buckles, consider ....

NAME1.jpg

This pic shows 3 belts - identical in width and length.  So basically, 3 copies of the same belt.  In the video, this measurement from fold to middle hole was 39".  

By changing the buckle, you change the "size" of the belt, though the leather you cut is the same.  The buckle length is part of the "size" of the belt.  We use this quite a bit on belts for youngsters, who tend to grow quickly.  Make them with a short buckle, and in 6 mos or a year he can continue to wear that same belt just by swapping out the buckle for a longer one.

Conversely, this pic shows that with the SAME belt, placement of the name CHANGES depending on the buckle used and how it is worn.

Assume that the long red line to the left (buckle end) is the zipper line (center) of your pants, and that the other long red line is the middle of the back.  Your front is your front and your back is your back, these do not change even if you're aren't wearing a belt at all.  Now consider that these 3 belts are again identical -

• they all measure 39" from fold to middle hole, and
  • the name is half way between the fold and the middle hole on ALL belts.

name2.jpg

If little Jimmy wears his belt so that his buckle lines up with the zipper (top), then this name IS centered on his back.

BUT

If Jimmy wears that SAME belt so that the center of the buckle is the center of his body (middle) then his name IS NOT centered on his back.

AND ALSO

If Jimmy wears a "trophy" buckle, and that buckle is worn centered on the front (bottom) then again his name IS NOT centered on his back.

Untitled-1b.jpg

Maybe this is a bit more clear?  All belts are  the SAME, but the buckle affects both the SIZE of the belt and the NAME position.

From the video, "center" would be 19.5" from the fold (and 19.5" from middle hole) , which is what is shown here.

Clearly, if you wear your belt with the buckle centered in the front, then the name would be OFF CENTER by half the buckle length.

Edited by JLSleather

24 minutes ago, Rahere said:

Added to which, as Winter comes and goes, you can't presume they'll use the middle hole, which makes this problematic in principle.

Well, I can't adjust your waist for you ;)  If you gain 1", should be able to "skootch" your buckle over half an inch and be fine on the name placement.  If you gain or lose TWO inches, maybe fix that issue.  IF you gain or lose more than that, maybe invest in a new belt.

@Rahereyou are right and we cannot control the eb and flow of a waistline.  But, I tell people when I make a belt for them, especially if it has a name on it, that it is designed so that everything is centered when worn in the center hole with the same buckle it was measured with.  I make sure to either do the measurement on the person or they take a picture of their existing belt with a tape next to it, I do not do a call in order that they have measured themselves, to many horror stories on this board and others

Todd.

54 minutes ago, Hildebrand said:

I make sure to either do the measurement on the person or they take a picture of their existing belt with a tape next to it,

Worth noting, the THICKNESS of the belt matters too.  The thicker the belt, the longer it needs to be to fit correctly.  A 39" measurement on a 7/8 oz belt will NOT fit the same as a 39" measurement on a DOUBLE LAYER 7/8 oz belt (the double layer belt will be short by nearly 1").

I was thinking more along the lines of Abilene 2021 - I've got all my clothing on and I'm still frostbitten... Some of the pictures out there...

Only the forgetful would need there name on there belt, and then they would need eye's in the back of there head:lol::lol::lol:

@chrisashits very common over here for people to put their name on their belt especially people in the western culture.  I made belts for my 2 and 5 year old granddaughters and put their names on them.  I realize your post is in jest but when poking fun of others it really plays better if you don't have grammar mistakes in your post( their-ownership vs there-location).

Todd