Vladinard

Exotic leathers

Hello , i tried to find topic a out this but i could not (maybe there is one but im a bit bad with searching in forums ! So please forgive me if im spamming)

my question is does e everyone have right to work with exotic leathers is it legal to do so ? 
by exotic i mean aligator and crocodile back and belly 

cobra skins , python , ostrich and so on ...

is it okay to just buy some skins online make products and put them on for sale ? Or you need to obtain some special license to do so ??? 

Edited by Vladinard

Generally, in the UK you may not use any product from an endangered species. There is no licence which allows you over come this

Despite N.I. being UK we have different laws. viz, I may not use any product, leather; from any snake or reptile or other endangered species. Totally forbidden, If I do and get caught = jail time and a big fine.    N.I. has this overall law as some US rattlesnakes are endangered whilst others are not and the officials don't want the bother to segregate them and all ow some as they cannot tell which is which with out DNA testing, same for some crocs, other snakes

23 minutes ago, fredk said:

Generally, in the UK you may not use any product from an endangered species. There is no licence which allows you over come this

Despite N.I. being UK we have different laws. viz, I may not use any product, leather; from any snake or reptile or other endangered species. Totally forbidden, If I do and get caught = jail time and a big fine.    N.I. has this overall law as some US rattlesnakes are endangered whilst others are not and the officials don't want the bother to segregate them and all ow some as they cannot tell which is which with out DNA testing, same for some crocs, other snakes

So with other words its better not to work with any kind of exotic leathers in UK ?? 

No elephant, no tiger, no real croc, no real alligator, no pangolin, no rattlesnake

yes for, ostrich, emu, kangaroo

Check out the World Wildlife organisation lists for endangered species. If its on their list then avoid

https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/directory

List not exhaustive

https://awionline.org/content/list-endangered-species#reptiles

Edited by fredk

This will maybe be the most interesting thing I'll read today @fredk. It sucks for the creative folks but I have to appreciate them looking out for the endangered list.

A number of years ago I got some python and croc embossed cow hide from Tandy in Manchester, England

N.I. has its own animal & plants products import controls. My leather was stopped and checked and I was threatened with prosecution for importing skins of endangered species. It took a number of emails back and forth until them uns did a DNA test on the leather and found it was bovine, but they didn't back down and admit defeat, they left me with a 'warning', like 'we are watching you' 

A couple of years later I got some more embossed from Tandy, This time I asked Tandy to include a copy of their info sheet saying it was cow hide. The hides went through control and the packaging note was stamped by importation control as leather checked and ok.

They missed the snakeskins in the box of hardware in the centre of the roll,  :whistle:

There is just one way, possibly, to use really exotic leather. If its at least 100 years old and certified as such. I know of a museum restorer who used the hide of an old 18th century stuffed Bengal tiger to fix an old Zulu shield. The tiger was real mangy and only fit for burning.

5 hours ago, fredk said:

No elephant, no tiger, no real croc, no real alligator, no pangolin, no rattlesnake

I don't know about emu, tiger or pangolin but the rest is fine in the USA.  Also hippo and giraffe.  They have to be legal and certified etc.  

On 2/16/2021 at 9:11 PM, fredk said:

Check out the World Wildlife organisation lists for endangered species. If its on their list then avoid

https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/directory

List not exhaustive

https://awionline.org/content/list-endangered-species#reptiles

Not all alligator or crocodile species on that list are endangered. Some are listed as 'threatened'. You can still import those skins to the UK to craft.

On 2/17/2021 at 1:24 AM, mike02130 said:

Do they ship to the UK? Some US suppliers charge additional fees for CITES certificate skins.

Edited by Stone14