Zozo

How to get correct spacing of stitches in round patterns

I have patterns where it calls for round hole punches for the stitches but I just use a single Tyne diamond punch instead because I don’t like the look of round hole stitching. But the spacing is already on these patterns so it’s easy to make. However whenever I try to make something on my own, say a tophat or a cup, I can’t figure out what the spacing should be to make everything line up right. Let’s say the bottom flat circle piece of my cup has 10 holes all punched using the 2 Tyne punch, if I use the same punch on the outer leather piece I will end up with more than 10 holes so it won’t work. Obviously I’d have to switch to the 1 Tyne punch and space out the 10 holes evenly around the piece but how do I accurately figure out the spacing. I need help so I can figure out how I need to do my own patterns like hats, spheres ect, basically anything circular. I can make my own designs but can’t figure out circular stitches 

Edited by Zozo
Punctuation fix

i use an awl to make the second hole. example i use a chisel for the holes on the bottom round then use my eye and my awl for the other side.  spacing them farther out as needed. do you have a round form or something to put inside the object to hold the shape while sewing? 

Edited by chuck123wapati

Also brute forcing it is optional. Take your properly spaced circle part and then lay it in on the cylindrical part of the cup and mark it to line up with the circular part, then do your punching. 

take the number of holes in the bottom  and divide the circumference at the stitch line of the outer piece by that number. That will give you the space between each stitch.

Edited by chuck123wapati

2 hours ago, Zozo said:

how do I accurately figure out the spacing. 

o take the number of holes in the bottom  and divide the circumference at the stitch line of the outer piece by that number. That will give you the space between each stitch. Example   10 holes in bottom,  outer circumference is 20 cm =20 cm / 10 holes in the bottom piece = 2cm between each outer stitch.

Edited by chuck123wapati

3 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

o take the number of holes in the bottom  and divide the circumference at the stitch line of the outer piece by that number. That will give you the space between each stitch.

Ah ha! Thanks stranger your the best :spoton:

don't forget must stay tangent to the radius or you get behind or forward 

13 minutes ago, Samalan said:

don't forget must stay tangent to the radius or you get behind or forward 

I had to google tangent :unsure: I’m not that smart lol but it’s relatively easy to understand now that I had something to look at directly. But I understand now what you mean because at my last attempt to figure it out, I didn’t do that so I ended up with too many holes marked. It was frustrating but I got there in the end lol I’m just a little slow 

Edited by Zozo
Punctuation

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

o take the number of holes in the bottom  and divide the circumference at the stitch line of the outer piece by that number. That will give you the space between each stitch. Example   10 holes in bottom,  outer circumference is 20 cm =20 cm / 10 holes in the bottom piece = 2cm between each outer stitch.

Which is one heck of a distance between stitches! On the other hand, you don't want so many holes in the base it tears our.

I've used a piece of elastic, the thin, white stuff.  It isn't perfect, but when you are tired and don't want to do math, it works well enough.

Using a cup as an example.  Cut, or place a mark on the elastic (unstretched) that matches the circumference of the bottom piece. Lay out your stitch marks, like one every 1/4 of an inch.  Then take that elastic and lay it on your stitch line for the side so that the end mark is next the beginning.  The elastic will have stretched a bit to get around the cylinder and the distance between the stitch marks will be evenly spaced.

1 hour ago, Rahere said:

Which is one heck of a distance between stitches! On the other hand, you don't want so many holes in the base it tears our.

was just an example for the math.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

was just an example for the math.

Oh I know :)  I understood what you were saying and thank you :P