curlywolfe

1927 singer

Has anyone had or used a singer AB792646 99 machine. Looking to sew straps 4/5 oz and suede. Thanks for any info

You are hopefully aware that the Singer 99 is a tiny domestic drop feed sewing machine, right? 4/5 oz one layer or multiple layers of it? When you put a layer of fabric on top of the suede it may work better as it reduces the friction between suede and presser foot. If sewing suede on top and bottom I´d rather use a needle feed or even better a triple feed machine.  My 2 cents.

Edited by Constabulary

Thank you, I am going with the 31 15

The 31-15 also is a drop feed machine. A lot larger than the 99 but still a drop feed machine.  When ever I tried to sew suede with a drop feed machine it caused troubles. The problem always was the friction between the suede and the presser foot. Maybe it depends on the kind of suede. Maybe a Teflon foot can be helpful but I haven´t tried it. If others have different experiences it would be nice to share them.

Thanks for the info, picking it up tomorrow, will be trying and learning. I am with you on the old cast iron machines, they are in a class all their own

The Singer 31 class is the industrial version of the Singer 15 class drop feed machines. They are tailoring machines for cloth. In order to sew leather, or sticky vinyl, you will need to install a roller foot. A Teflon foot will work too. But, it only takes one forgetful moment where you drop the lifted foot onto the unprotected feed dog to end the usefulness of the Teflon. Ask me how I know...

After a weeks delay, I finally got it, 1920 model with an industrial table and servo motor. I have only hand sewn for years so this is all new, will be ordering the roller foot. Again, thanks for your help