JeremyG

Stitching hole placement for rows of pockets

Hi everybody.  I make a lot of wallets and I recently got a new set of pricking irons.  In the past, I've used the diamond stitching chisels from Weaver leather supply, and they were okay.  I switched to the Sinabroks 3.38 mm pricking irons because I wanted something a little more refined.  I've really enjoyed using them so far but I've come across a problem.  If I'm stitching down a row of pockets like in a vertical long wallet, I can't seem to figure out a good placement for the holes.  If I put one tooth on the bottom edge of one pocket and another tooth on the top edge of the next pocket, there isn't enough clearance because of the slant of the teeth, so there's only a tiny bit of leather there to hold onto the thread.  If I were to stitch that up, it usually rips the edge of the leather.  On the other hand, I can't put a hole between the two pockets because then there will be thread going between them and they won't meet up edge to edge flush and clean.  Is 3.38 mm just too small?  I'm pretty certain I've seen people stitch up wallets with that size before, even finer sizes.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Edited by JeremyG

I use both 3.38 and 3 mm.  I've never had an issue.  What size were the old ones?  You may have to adjust your pattern.  A picture may allow us to help you more. 

Instead of punching a solid line across the pockets run the stitch line and stop X mm before the edge of the first pocket and then start your stitch line again on the next pocket.  The stitching will have a small discrepancy where the pockets are but shouldn’t be too noticeable if you space things right.