rlevine

Singer paper gaskets?

I'm rehabbing a Singer 110W125, and it has lovely paper gaskets on the gearboxes. Before I remove them, what do folks use to replace the gaskets if they're (inadvertently :p) damaged? Left to my own devices, I'll look for very thin detroiter vegetable paper, but I'm curious if there is another recommended material. 

Thanks!

Rick

3 minutes ago, rlevine said:

I'm rehabbing a Singer 110W125, and it has lovely paper gaskets on the gearboxes. Before I remove them, what do folks use to replace the gaskets if they're (inadvertently :p) damaged? Left to my own devices, I'll look for very thin detroiter vegetable paper, but I'm curious if there is another recommended material. 

Thanks!

Rick

look in mcmaster carr they sell gasket materials

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

look in mcmaster carr they sell gasket materials

Thanks! Discovered our local O'Reilly Auto carries 1/64" vegetable paper, too. Didn't have to pay McMaster's shipping rates!

Rick

9 minutes ago, rlevine said:

Thanks! Discovered our local O'Reilly Auto carries 1/64" vegetable paper, too. Didn't have to pay McMaster's shipping rates!

Rick

awesome ! good luck with your rebuild friend.

I have a question - is the feed dog of your machine essentially a disk that rotates in step with the needle feed?   Is the main shaft connected to the lower shaft with a rubber belt or a drive shaft?  Ok, two questions. 

2E4DB660-A201-450C-B08F-C940E49F7EDF.jpeg

1 hour ago, rlevine said:

Rick

make sure the replacement gasket is the same thickness as the original. any difference can throw tolerances out

I just ran across a few photos of a disassembled machine like yours that showed the parts I was curious about - what an interesting design!   I’ve ran across a few of these and always avoided them not knowing they were needle feed - now I’m excited to pick up the next one that comes along.    

It has two lower shafts, one for the hook and a separate one for the feed. The wheel feed is driven separately from the hook by reduction gearing from bottom bevel gear housing. There's an interesting wrinkle in that the needle rock is set  for the middle stitch length if the three stitch gear sets are close together, otherwise it may need to be adjusted when the stitch length is switched.

Apologies for the late response, I took some pics this morning.

Rick

bell_removed_reduced.thumb.jpg.2c4992c6f2645f34faa4685041880102.jpgshafts_annotated_reduced.thumb.jpg.42771b0728f4c104e3074a644955c101.jpggears_from_front_reduced.thumb.jpg.c0fa0b93cf02ee16ef1857d93e505e0c.jpgend_view_reduced.thumb.jpg.1867bc409dfc96d37688b2de9fff809e.jpgtop_view_reduced.thumb.jpg.274c307564808d26b4d4cbbca7b32eb2.jpg

,,,and the upper/lower coupling is a drive shaft, not a belt.

Thanks for the pictures!  That’s an interesting arrangement.