Schlaumeier

How to identify my Singer model and make it work

I found an old leather sewing machine in my grandpas basement. I think, he got it from a friend of his, whos father was a shoe maker. The make is Singer. There is a brass plaque with the digits 29k8 stamped into it. I assume, this is the model?

I watched some instructional videos on youtube, but couldn't find anything for a 29k8. The biggest difference between the most helpful video I could find and my own machine, are the bobbins. The ones in the video had an eye on the flat side, through which the thread is pulled in the end. My bobbins lack this eye.
First the machine kind of worked, until I changed the lower thread. Now I can't even get the lower thread up. I'm doing it, like you would with a textile sewing machine. I think it was the same in the instrucitonal video. Also, the tension on the upper thread seems to be very high.
In your experience, is it possible to make a machine work, which hasn't been used for years, without taking it apart, cleaning it thouroughly and oiling it?

This is the video:

Yes, 29K8 is the model number. Here’s a previous topic that has some more details and links to a relevant manual:

If everything moves at it should and no parts are missing, you should be able to make it sew without disassembling anything. You can oil and clean many areas without removing parts from the machine. Much depends on the condition of the machine. Post some pictures of your machine, it may help us see if anything’s missing or wrong.

The early models like yours had hooks without the hole. Insert bobbin inside the hook and pull the thread into the slot on the hook. Then drop the hook into the arm and leave thread hanging over the arm’s edge. Close the cover plate. If hook timing is good, you should be able to pull up the thread through the cover plate hole by turning the handwheel. If that doesn’t work, upload a short, non-public video snippet to YouTube and post the link to it here. We’ll have to see what’s going on in order to offer remote service advice.

Edited by Uwe

Hello, Yes you can just clean the thread path and the shuttle area first instead of taking everything apart to see if it works first. There are two types of bobbins for these patcher machines, one is the big one as in the video and the other is a smaller one where the thread goes through a small hole on the side. Could it possibly be 29k18 instead of 8?? could you post pictures of your machine and the brass plate?? there are a lot of posts referring to these patcher machines here on the forum and i have also cleaned one up just like many members here. 

Aaagh, a ubiquitous 29K, the very first sewing machine I sat in front of and how well it taught me . . especially as mine was a foot pedal driven example.  Using it was genuinely therapeutic.

Like as been said, if it works then it works, they're simplicity in themselves and genuinely capable of a lot more than most think them capable of.  We used ours to make heavy canvas tens and shelters for battle re-enactment.  Their Achilles Heel is the constant need to stop and load a new bobbin . . . buy and load as many as you can so that your day's work isn't interrupted too much.

Though I've never seen this fault mentioned elsewhere what stopped us using ours, and upgrading to a 205-370, was that a previously busy life seem to have worn the castings for the gudgeon pins for the "swing arm" and the stub at the wheel end and - we were told - this may have been causing the odd missed stitch?  In all other respects it worked perfectly but, if you're making commercial gear, it isn't a fault you feel that your customers should live with.

Our 205-370 is fitted with a good electronic motor so it is somewhat of a "gentle giant" to use . . . but I still miss using the 29K with a foot pedal.

Hendreforgan, love the quote in your profile! My late hubby was an engineer, so I realize what an important profession it is.

Schlaumeier, great find! Hope you can get it working for you - they are great machines!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

29K8 is basically the same as the 29K1 / 29K3 / 29K4 and the like with just minor difference which could be a different needle plate or an oil cup...

It´s approx 100 years old or older. Very few parts are still available, major wear parts are no longer available, gear box pinions of the more modern 29K7x series do not fit. 29K7x series bell crank levers can be modified to fit. Needle / hook timing on these early models cannot be adjusted. Only thing you can adjust is the needle holder which often can be moved to the right a little bit. If this does not help you may try a new shuttle / hook which remained the same until today. Parts # is 8604

I have restored a 29K1 a while ago - maybe it helps:

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/60554-29k1-pre-christmas-barn-find/

It works! Thanks a lot to you all! :thumbsup:

Jimi, it's an 29K8 for sure.

When I use the foot pedal, the sewing direction keeps changing. I guess, it just takes some practise? Or is there a trick for controling the sewing direction?

Ok Schlaumeier, so the 29k8 is a old one. On the head in the video above the two wings for changing direction of the foot there is a thumbscrew, bellow the second set of tension disks, this is for keeping the foot from turning if you want to stitch in a straight line. :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Schlaumeier said:

When I use the foot pedal, the sewing direction keeps changing. I guess, it just takes some practise? Or is there a trick for controling the sewing direction?

If you stop the motion by pressing on the foot pedal as it comes up, it’ll reverse direction next time you press down on it. 

Make a habit of stopping the motion by holding the hand wheel after the pedal starts to move downward again, so when you start again it’ll continue in the same direction. Or use the hand wheel to get the motion started in the right direction and then continue with the foot pedal.

Edited by Uwe

:lol: ok i thought it was the foot direction.

1 hour ago, Uwe said:

If you stop the motion by pressing on the foot pedal as it comes up, it’ll reverse direction next time you press down on it. 

Make a habit of stopping the motion by holding the hand wheel after the pedal starts to move downward again, so when you start again it’ll continue in the same direction. Or use the hand wheel to get the motion started in the right direction and then continue with the foot pedal.

You forget at first that the foot pedal, being connected to the big hand wheel by a leather belt, can make it go both ways . . . it's little skill that very little sewing time teaches you by you being amazed your foot going just "one way" can make the needle go "two ways" :blink:  The example of the 29K we owned had a revolving presser foot turned by two big "wing nut" flanges?  This meant we usually only ever used the flywheel one way and used the presser foot to change direction.

These are shown in the great photo at the start of this thread . . so those that have never used a 29K that is what those two "ears" do.

Edited by HENDREFORGAN
extra explanation

22 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Hendreforgan, love the quote in your profile! My late hubby was an engineer, so I realize what an important profession it is.

Schlaumeier, great find! Hope you can get it working for you - they are great machines!

Thank you Sheila Jeanne!

Not many have noticed it, many may not have understood the ethic.  In today's world I suspect that engineers are constantly fighting "development managers" and accountants who want new design's kept as secret as possible . . . and that goes against the grain of a true engineer who welcomes discussion and the involvement of others as they know that is how genuine progress is made.  Sadly, then, a dying breed.

@HENDREFORGAN I didn’t forget, that’s exactly what I thought I was explaining, perhaps before I was properly caffeinated.

We still have not seen any pictures of @Schlaumeier‘s actual machine, so we’re all just guessing as to how it is actually set up.

Hendreforgan, there's a reason engineers take an oath before graduation - people have DIED because engineers made mistakes! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_Bridge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritual_of_the_Calling_of_an_Engineer

My husband carried this card in his wallet. The oath was written by Rudyard Kipling, at the request of Professor Haultain (University of Toronto.)  

Calling of an Engineer.JPG

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Sheilajeanne: Wow, that is strong.

So I guess, I will just need to practice a bit with the foot padel and the hand wheel. Thanks again everyone. I think I will go to work now and come back once there is a result. :-)