swhoelefp69

1st Punisher mask! 1st post, 1st project - painting effects / finishing advice?

My first post on this super helpful forum. I started making leather masks about a month ago, after downloading some patterns from a talented leather worker on Etsy. I'm almost done with my 1st mask, the Punisher. I used Fiebings pro dye as base, and added Angelus flat white over that. I plan on finishing it with Angelus flat finisher, but before I do that, I was looking for some advice on how to add some 'distress, weather, rustness' to the white. My mask is below, as are two examples of how the original designer finished his masks. If anyone has any suggestions on how to achieve the weather look, I'd love to hear from you ;) - I have some scrap flat white leather, where I plan to do tests, before I attempt the mask face.

Capture.JPG

il_1140xN.2255979286_gn2t.jpg

iap_640x640.1745338418_h6zlrqty.jpg

Welcome aboard! Cool project. If it’s rustiness you want I’d be inclined to find some actual rusty metal / rust flakes and leave them up against it with some water, I imagine it would transfer fairly well. Worth a shot on your sample piece at least.

You could smudge some ash on it perhaps? It would probably look more natural than trying to use a paint. Your final seal coat should hold it in place.

It looks like he gouged out a few divots on his.  You can probably find a tool in your shop that can help you add some similar looking scars in the leather. 

it looks like he airbrushed his weathered look on. Very cool project!

if you don't have an air brush maybe some light washes of transparent acrylic paints to achieve the effect.

Edited by chuck123wapati

I think you need to watch this.   i find it interesting,  

Thanks for all the advice everyone!  I'll give some of these techniques a go ;)

I’d either airbrush with rusty stain colors or sand some of the paint off in places.  Probably both.  Also, look at actual rust.  It’s usually. It just one color, but varying shades, so give it some depth with multiple hues.   

That is cool. If you  use dye for the accents / scars,  dilute it with isopropyl alcohol. Dye the accent a little bit at a time with some dry time between. This will let you keep adding dye but the alcohol evaporates and you'll be able to get the desired effect, but it does take some time. Straight dye will be way too dark and heavy.

The amount of alcohol to add is dependent on how dark or light you want the shading to be. I have found that after mixing a batch as the alcohol evaporates your mix will get darker so don't forget to redilute or soon you'll have straight dye again (ask me how I know)

I use a mix of greens and browns to try to get a "fresh out of the grave" look.

I practiced a lot and eventually.got what I was looking for Nice first project. My first dozen ended up in the trash.

well put the thing on...LOL

Its not perfect but it's a phone pic so.....

I dye with Cova white and when dry I wipe on brown brown antique stain the liquid type not the gel. Let it sit for a bit and then with a damp rag wipe it off.

And yes practice first you don't want to mess up a great looking piece for sure!

Nice work.

5.JPG