swhoelefp69

How to add Gel Antique in specific areas instead of all over

Hi everyone!  2nd post, and very new to leatherwork. I'm working on a 2nd mask, and looking for some guidance on applying Gel Antique to specific areas of the mask, vs. wiping it over the entire mask. I've watched several videos on applying Gel Anqitue, and they all show the apply liberally, wipe off excess. I've asked the original designer of the mask in the pic below how to achieve the effect. He mentioned that after painting a base white Angelus coat, and adding black angelus to the nose, he applies black Gel Antique to specific areas, and wipes off excess. With everything I've seen with adding Gel Antique, wiping off excess would add more black to areas not meant to have the gel. I'm guessing I would darken the mask trying to wipe off the gel, and it would make the overall mask more black (not wanted), vs white, which is what i'm going for like the pic.

Can anyone recommend how to add Gel Antique in specific areas, and wipe off, without dragging the gel into areas that are not meant to have the gel added?  Is spot antiquing something that is done? Would I just add it in specific areas, and wipe it off with a wool dauber, vs using a cloth? How could i ever add it around the teeth, and keep the teeth mainly white?

I appreciate any help/guidance from the talented members here ;)

il_1140xN.2319894583_q3s4.jpg

20210218_112000.jpg

Edited by swhoelefp69
add pic

I've never used the gel antique, but maybe using a q-tip to apply small amounts in the areas you want it then wiping up the excess with a firmly held cloth (like block dying) might work?

use a resist in the areas you dont want the dye. I use eco sheeen it is a finish for leather work once it is on no dyes will absorb.

You must use a resist,  

Here I painted the leaves and stems with resist,  waited till the next day and antiqued it

20210215_025412.jpg

If I've painted the entire project with white Angelus paint, won't that act as a resist? I've read a few posts on here from folks who say it works like a resist. Then when I apply the antique, it will remain in the tooled areas to give depth, and when wiped off, I should still have the white background - though, I have also read it may discolor the acrylic paint somewhat.

3 hours ago, swhoelefp69 said:

If I've painted the entire project with white Angelus paint, won't that act as a resist? I've read a few posts on here from folks who say it works like a resist. Then when I apply the antique, it will remain in the tooled areas to give depth, and when wiped off, I should still have the white background - though, I have also read it may discolor the acrylic paint somewhat.

test it on a piece of scrap.

Yes, test first! I've often been very disappointed with the results of antiquing, even when I used two coats of resist!

You may even want to try to "paint" it on with a q-tip. Dip the q-tip in some gel antique and then wipe off most of it onto a paper towel and use the residue left on the q-tip to get in those areas around the base of the teeth and in the cracks. It'll get the goo where you want it and make getting it off the places you don't want it pretty easy. This is just a guess though, I'd test it for sure.

thanks everyone!  great advice, and I will certainly use it all ;)