jaygeo2020

29k72 Mechanic Wanted

I inherited this machine but it's not picking up the bobbin thread, I need someone who can get it working, please be somewhat local1233804626_20210219_130758(2).jpg.e7b4cb5f3c04deb3fd7010a3c975f1bb.jpg

@jaygeo2020 Moved to leather sewing machines.  You'll get more input here than in help wanted.  Help wanted all posts have to be approved by a moderator before members can see them.

Can you take and post a good sharp picture showing how the top thread is threaded along the top, all the way to the take-up arm? It could be as simple as a missed position along the thread path (like the eye in the take-up lever over the needle bar).

With an end mounted balance wheel, you spin it counterclockwise to sew. Some patchers, like my long arm Adler, have a front mounted wheel and those need to turn clockwise. Are you turning yours ccw?

The needle could be set too far to the left. The clamp that holds the needle also has a screw above the needle screw. Loosen the top screw and you can push the needle clamp to the right to get closer to the hook. Tighten down the screw when you have it moved to the right. If it still doesn't pick up the bobbin thread, make sure the thread is not just feeding through the tiny hole in the shuttle, by the tiny tension spring, but also through the hole in the center post that the bobbin revolves around.

If that doesn't get it sewing, make sure the needle is set so that the long rib faces due left and the cutout over the eye faces right. Also, make sure the needle is all the way up and is either a "System" 29x3, 29x4, 135x16, or 135x17. The "size" (diameter/number) of the needle should be big enough to easily thread the top thread through the eye without a threading wire. For #69 bonded thread, I use a #18 needle. For #92 thread use a #19 needle and for #138 thread use a #22 or 23 needle.

If the needle is in right and the system and size are correct and the end mounted wheel is turning counterclockwise and it still won't sew, the hook timing might need to be adjusted. Or, the little paddle shaped check spring inside the needle bar, above the needle mounting block might be bent or broken off. Things are about the get complicated.

thank you so much, I will upload pics, and I will double check items you mentioned, thanks again