Sign in to follow this  

I am looking for a nice conditioner/protectant for natural undyed leather. I have experimented with Fiebings Mink Oil Paste, Fiebings Carnauba Creme, and Saphir Universal Creme. I liked the Mink Oil pasted the best as it doesn't really do much to the color of the leather and it smells pretty good.

I am curious why it does not seem to be very popular (or maybe I am wrong about that). I know there are acrylic products like Resolene but I am not sure I like the idea of covering a nice leather in plastic and making it shiny. Are there other more natural products that protect leather that I should consider?

1 hour ago, Brigg said:

I am curious why it does not seem to be very popular (or maybe I am wrong about that). 

ethics. In the UK and some parts of Europe mink are not only no longer farmed but it is forbidden to farm them thus its very hard to get mink oil. I get mine from China. Neets foot oil is a by-product of the beef meat industry so it ethically easier to obtain

1 hour ago, Brigg said:

Are there other more natural products that protect leather that I should consider?

Neets foot oil (NFO), beeswax and some carnauba wax mix is what I use

Most mink oil doesn't actually contain oil from minks as one would think. It is usually an amalgamation of products, sometimes petroleum based. One has to look at the MSDS/SDS of the mink oil to ascertain what is actually in it. Not all mink oils are equal and real mink oil is typically very expensive. Also, what is it you are looking to protect from? Are you looking to waterproof/resist an item or condition it? 

Here is a recipe for a conditioner that will likely do what you are looking for, both condition and protect.

Edited by ScottWolf

4 minutes ago, ScottWolf said:

Most mink oil doesn't actually contain oil from minks as one would think.

That may be true in the US but the mink oil I buy is pure mink oil with no additives. 

33 minutes ago, fredk said:

That may be true in the US but the mink oil I buy is pure mink oil with no additives. 

Hence why I said to check the MSDS/SDS if one is adamant about actually using a product with real mink oil in it. If you haven't checked the MSDS, you really don't know what you're getting in the tin. 

I've attached the ingredients. Anything Fiebings is on the cheaper side but it does contain mink oil. I am not worried about "ethics". Minks destroyed the cabin of my boat a few years ago.

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 10.12.24 PM.png

I for one do not trust any ingredient list from China.  While cows are killed for food, minks are killed for their fur and the cosmetic and medical industry.

9 hours ago, fredk said:

In the UK and some parts of Europe mink are not only no longer farmed but it is forbidden to farm them thus its very hard to get mink oil. I get mine from China. Neets foot oil is a by-product of the beef meat industry so it ethically easier to obtain

9 hours ago, fredk said:

Edited by mike02130
added an indefinite article

12 hours ago, Brigg said:

I am looking for a nice conditioner/protectant for natural undyed leather. I have experimented with Fiebings Mink Oil Paste, Fiebings Carnauba Creme, and Saphir Universal Creme. I liked the Mink Oil pasted the best as it doesn't really do much to the color of the leather and it smells pretty good.

I am curious why it does not seem to be very popular (or maybe I am wrong about that). I know there are acrylic products like Resolene but I am not sure I like the idea of covering a nice leather in plastic and making it shiny. Are there other more natural products that protect leather that I should consider?

i use fiebings mink oil alot. There are plenty of leather care products in stores that carry ranching supplies.

I primarily use a product from Montana Pitch Blend. Performance means a lot more to me than just appearance. Like you I’m not a fan of coating leather with plastic. Montana pitch blend has two products. One is just mink oil with pine pitch, the second makes it into a thick paste by adding beeswax.