jrny4wrd

Edging chrome tanned

I’ve looked into different edge kotes and have seen a wide usage. I have not seen anything discussing Chrome tanned leather. Is there an edging paint,paste, kote, etc... that is flexible enough to use on a chrome tanned purse? One that wont crack? I want to make a few purses with this sophiano (spelling?) leather I purchased and being chrome tanned, I don’t believe it will barnish. 

44 minutes ago, jrny4wrd said:

I’ve looked into different edge kotes and have seen a wide usage. I have not seen anything discussing Chrome tanned leather. Is there an edging paint,paste, kote, etc... that is flexible enough to use on a chrome tanned purse? One that wont crack? I want to make a few purses with this sophiano (spelling?) leather I purchased and being chrome tanned, I don’t believe it will barnish. 

First, I assume you mean Saffiano leather.  It is a chrome-tanned leather with a distinctive texture to it.  I is commonly used on high-end bags.

Dumb%20Dog%20Special%202.SLC05.jpg?resizeid=22&resizeh=1200&resizew=1200

Most chrome-tanned leathers don't burnish as well or as easily as vegetable-tanned leather, so edge paint is typically used.

Everyone is going to have their favorite.  On the lower price end is Fiebing's , then Giardini and then Vernis and some others.  Some are heat-able and some are not.  The best I've seen used a heat-able edge paint along with a Fileteuse.  

There have been some posts here at the forum on technique, tools and various paints.  Keep searching.  And I'm sure others will chime in with their experience.

7 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

First, I assume you mean Saffiano leather.  It is a chrome-tanned leather with a distinctive texture to it.  I is commonly used on high-end bags.

Dumb%20Dog%20Special%202.SLC05.jpg?resizeid=22&resizeh=1200&resizew=1200

Most chrome-tanned leathers don't burnish as well or as easily as vegetable-tanned leather, so edge paint is typically used.

Everyone is going to have their favorite.  On the lower price end is Fiebing's , then Giardini and then Vernis and some others.  Some are heat-able and some are not.  The best I've seen used a heat-able edge paint along with a Fileteuse.  

There have been some posts here at the forum on technique, tools and various paints.  Keep searching.  And I'm sure others will chime in with their experience.

Yes, but as stated I have not seen a mention of the type of leather they have been used on. Does it make a difference? I don’t want someone paying a couple hundred for a purse and have it flake off. 

Sorry, I thought my answer was clear and it apparently wasn't.  Yes, the edge paints are suitable for use on chrome-tanned leather.

34 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Sorry, I thought my answer was clear and it apparently wasn't.  Yes, the edge paints are suitable for use on chrome-tanned leather.

Thanks.