Sign in to follow this  
klutes

Consew 18

Anyone familiar with the Consew 18 sewing machine. Any info it’s capabilities you could share on it would be appreciated. Thanks

Here's a link to a manual.  Consew keeps a good library but I also use manualslib.com

I had one that I got from a musty basement.  Rusted solid when I got it.   Brought it back to life and it worked great.  I think it runs up to a 23 needle?  About 5 stitches per inch max.  The needle it specified was not a easy one to find now but a needle bar adjustment let me adapt it to a readily available needle.  I think it offered a differential feed, so you could over or underfeed the top layer of fabric relative to the bottom.  It didn't do anything for me so I just ran the top and bottom feeds synched up.

http://www.consew.com/Files/112347/InstructionManuals/18.pdf

Edited by sandmanred

1 hour ago, sandmanred said:

Here's a link to a manual.  Consew keeps a good library but I also use manualslib.com

I had one that I got from a musty basement.  Rusted solid when I got it.   Brought it back to life and it worked great.  I think it runs up to a 23 needle?  About 5 stitches per inch max.  The needle it specified was not a easy one to find now but a needle bar adjustment let me adapt it to a readily available needle.  I think it offered a differential feed, so you could over or underfeed the top layer of fabric relative to the bottom.  It didn't do anything for me so I just ran the top and bottom feeds synched up.

http://www.consew.com/Files/112347/InstructionManuals/18.pdf

Thanks for the info and the link

Isn’t the 18 a copy of the Singer 16-188?  I’m not 100% sure - someone who actually knows will probably chime in.    At least some parts appear to cross reference between the two machines.

9AD5C96B-1ED4-4184-AE19-0A77F917859A.jpeg

I have heard this but not sure.

The Singer 78 / Consew 28  have a driven top feed and needle feed but no feed dog (does not mark the leather on the bottom side). Max. stitch length is approx 8 - 8.5mm (not many in this class have such a long stitch length), machine has no reverse and foot lift is approx 8mm. Max. needle size is 140. Problem is you barely find feet and parts for this machine and the few you find are very expensive. I owned one. But it is a really cool machine IMO but other than the stitch length it hat no advantages to my 111G156. But it was a pleasure to play with - really. If you can get one cheap buy it and try it out.

Edited by Wizcrafts
Corrected Consew model from 18 to 28 as per follow-up comment. The Consew 18 is different.

4 hours ago, Constabulary said:

The Singer 78 / Consew 18  have a driven top feed and needle feed but no feed dog (does not mark the leather on the bottom side). Max. stitch length is approx 8 - 8.5mm (not many in this class have such a long stitch length), machine has no reverse and foot lift is approx 8mm. Max. needle size is 140. Problem is you barely find feet and parts for this machine and the few you find are very expensive. I owned one. But it is a really cool machine IMO but other than the stitch length it hat no advantages to my 111G156. But it was a pleasure to play with - really. If you can get one cheap buy it and try it out.

Thanks for the information. I am anxiously waiting on it to arrive. Just got it to play with and maybe do really light stuff with small needle and thread. Will it handle 92 thread

I have to apology -  I mixed up Consew 18 and Consew 28 - Singer 78 is similar to the Consew 28 but not to the 18 - I`M SORRY!

I think DonInReno is right - the Consew 18 is like the Singer 16-188

Again - sorry - my bad! So forget what I have written. :whistle:

Edited by Constabulary

I had the Consew 18 for short while but I'm pretty sure it will handle T135 all day long and I think I even tried some T210 with a 24 needle but had a modified needle plate to allow the bigger needle to pass.  92 should be no problem.

3 hours ago, sandmanred said:

I had the Consew 18 for short while but I'm pretty sure it will handle T135 all day long and I think I even tried some T210 with a 24 needle but had a modified needle plate to allow the bigger needle to pass.  92 should be no problem.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I have to apology -  I mixed up Consew 18 and Consew 28 - Singer 78 is similar to the Consew 28 but not to the 18 - I`M SORRY!

I think DonInReno is right - the Consew 18 is like the Singer 16-188

Again - sorry - my bad! So forget what I have written. :whistle:

No problem

I received the Consew 18 today by fedex. I will have to say I am surprised how great the condition is. Apparently it has been used very very little. I have not found any wear at all. I am going to set it up with a servo motor. Should I set it up with a speed reducer. I am planning on setting it up with small needle and thread for sewing billfolds. 
Also can someone explain why the machine I set up with dual feed adjustment. One for the bottom feed and one for the top feed. Why would you want these to ever be different. Am I missing something or is this just a way to adjust both feeds to be in sync??

I have heard parts can be sorta hard to fine for this machine. Is there anywhere you can find them in case I ever needed something. 

I had a Consew 18 until recently, I really enjoyed using it. it will take 135 thread all day long 225 is asking a lot of this machine my experience is you can get it to sew with it but the stiches don't look good otherwise it can sew through anything you can put under the foot. It will do up to about 1500 stiches per minute but it would be unwise to get much over that. You can find  feet on ebay though they can be expensive and welting feet are available . Bobbins  and bobbin cases are pretty much the same as domestic sewing machines and are pretty cheap. it takes a 135 type needle , common walking foot needle easy to find and cheap  leather needles are available.  I would just sync the upper feed with the lower feed for the stitch length I was using. The needle plate has a pretty big hole in it so when you get started it can hang up on the feed dog, just something to watch out for. The needle plates are easy to find on ebay the needle bar is also available and pretty cheap  . I replaced the clutch motor with a servo motor it made all the difference especially since the old clutch motor was an ancient open motor design and was pretty "grabby" there isn't much to go wrong with this machine and once I managed to get the timing down I never had to adjust the timing again. This is a commercial machine and is well built if you keep it oiled every day you won't be needing to replace any parts.  This machine does not have reverse so at the end of the seam lift the foot slide the material back under the foot a bit and put in a couple of stitches or turn the goods around and put in a couple of stitches. 

I would post pictures but I don't know how to on this platform.

Dave

I synched mine, I agree with you I don't know it might be useful to have them not synched.  I just rolled the hand wheel by hand and iterated until I got it dialed in.

It's been a while since I had mine but I think the hook is the same as a 31-15.  I also got needle plate from ebay.  It's good to know the clones/close models too when you search for parts.  I think the Singer 16U is one and Tacsew T188 another.  Watch the fit of parts that aren't OEM, they often kind of fit but I have had to modify many of them to make them work right.  

1 hour ago, DAkramer said:

I had a Consew 18 until recently, I really enjoyed using it. it will take 135 thread all day long 225 is asking a lot of this machine my experience is you can get it to sew with it but the stiches don't look good otherwise it can sew through anything you can put under the foot. It will do up to about 1500 stiches per minute but it would be unwise to get much over that. You can find  feet on ebay though they can be expensive and welting feet are available . Bobbins  and bobbin cases are pretty much the same as domestic sewing machines and are pretty cheap. it takes a 135 type needle , common walking foot needle easy to find and cheap  leather needles are available.  I would just sync the upper feed with the lower feed for the stitch length I was using. The needle plate has a pretty big hole in it so when you get started it can hang up on the feed dog, just something to watch out for. The needle plates are easy to find on ebay the needle bar is also available and pretty cheap  . I replaced the clutch motor with a servo motor it made all the difference especially since the old clutch motor was an ancient open motor design and was pretty "grabby" there isn't much to go wrong with this machine and once I managed to get the timing down I never had to adjust the timing again. This is a commercial machine and is well built if you keep it oiled every day you won't be needing to replace any parts.  This machine does not have reverse so at the end of the seam lift the foot slide the material back under the foot a bit and put in a couple of stitches or turn the goods around and put in a couple of stitches. 

I would post pictures but I don't know how to on this platform.

Dave

Thanks 

2 hours ago, sandmanred said:

I synched mine, I agree with you I don't know it might be useful to have them not synched.  I just rolled the hand wheel by hand and iterated until I got it dialed in.

It's been a while since I had mine but I think the hook is the same as a 31-15.  I also got needle plate from ebay.  It's good to know the clones/close models too when you search for parts.  I think the Singer 16U is one and Tacsew T188 another.  Watch the fit of parts that aren't OEM, they often kind of fit but I have had to modify many of them to make them work right.  

Thanks

How do I sync the upper and lower feed? If I do this, will it make it possible for my bobbin thread to feed up finally so I can start sewing? This is the only problem I have embarked upon. I have seemed to navigate “blindly” (hands on figuring it out) not having a clue what I’m doing. I could use all the help possible. Thank you!!

14 hours ago, KensieK said:

How do I sync the upper and lower feed? If I do this, will it make it possible for my bobbin thread to feed up finally so I can start sewing? This is the only problem I have embarked upon. I have seemed to navigate “blindly” (hands on figuring it out) not having a clue what I’m doing. I could use all the help possible. Thank you!!

The bobbin thread has nothing to do with the stitch length.Are you sure you have the correct needle in it?It should be approx 1&3/4" long.

Okay you are ever so kind to point this out to a newbie!! I’ve had other needles in and they broke. What does this tell me? 

19 minutes ago, KensieK said:

Okay you are ever so kind to point this out to a newbie!! I’ve had other needles in and they broke. What does this tell me? 

Could be a couple of things,#1)too loose needle tension or threaded incorrectly,#2)Feed dog timing,when the feed dog comes up,goes back & starts to go down this is when the needle should go into the material.Is your machine doing that?#3)Or it could be that the race(the part the shuttle rides in) has too much slop & needs to be replaced.