toxo

Liquid steel!

Can anyone recommend some stuff that is thin enough to go into some small gaps, Goes off hard and will withstand a decent amount of heat?

The walls on this thermocouple probe are so thin that it ripped apart when haf way into the hole. I have a replacement but I'd like to save that for a second project if I can.

It's just a probe and the business end is already in the hole so I'm thinking if I fill the hole in and build up around it with some sort of putty, when it goes off I can drill & tap through the putty to hold it in place.

Any ideas folks?

thermocouple thread 1.jpg

thermocouple thread 2.jpg

try some JB weld, any hardware carries it.

Could you solder a metal sleeve over the existing metal sleeve?  Just something to cover and beef it up?  

1 minute ago, Bigfoote said:

try some JB weld, any hardware carries it.

I was concerned about JB Weld withstanding heat, so I looked it up.  The info I saw says it can withstand 500 degrees Fahrenheit for sustained periods and a maximum of 600 degrees F.  So it would be a great option so long as you don't exceed those numbers. 

7 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Could you solder a metal sleeve over the existing metal sleeve?  Just something to cover and beef it up?  

I was concerned about JB Weld withstanding heat, so I looked it up.  The info I saw says it can withstand 500 degrees Fahrenheit for sustained periods and a maximum of 600 degrees F.  So it would be a great option so long as you don't exceed those numbers. 

I was just looking at the JB heat stuff. Promising.

Hadn't thought of soldering. If the JB can hold it together it wouldn't be too hard to make a couple of half inch straps with cut outs to go around the cable one on top of the other and drill & tap or solder either side.

Thanks guys.

I'll second JB Weld.

I used some as a 'temporary'  repair on a valve cover and on a water outlet on my 1930 Austin 7, that was 20 years ago and the JB is still holding. The valve cover is under the exhaust so it gets really hot there. The water through the outlet only gets to about 90 degrees.

Used to be a more industrial version called Devcon. Also Liquid Steel and Liquid Aluminum. 

Thanks guys.

I've ordered some JB, will be here tomorrow. Temp should be ok for foiling, Not sure about the higher temps for heat embossing but once I've strapped it down I don't think it'll be an issue, (famous last words right?)

Watch this space or rather watch the updates on my DIY hot stamp buid.

12 hours ago, fredk said:

I'll second JB Weld.

I used some as a 'temporary'  repair on a valve cover and on a water outlet on my 1930 Austin 7, that was 20 years ago and the JB is still holding. The valve cover is under the exhaust so it gets really hot there. The water through the outlet only gets to about 90 degrees.

i'll third it! I have a75 mgb with some  jb parts also. i use it alot.