BethanyDunn

First Project: Dyed and Painted Dog Collar

I made my brother a surprise collar for his new dog and it was my first time working with leather. It isn’t sealed yet, but I wanted to post the almost finished piece here and see what you guys think. 

1. What is the best way to finish/seal this? I used Fiebings Leather Color dye (black) and Plaid FX flexible acrylic paint (created to use on cosplay items, etc. but thought I’d try it out). I have Resolene, but am not sure if that’s the best thing to use or how I should go about applying it (brush, spray, etc).   

2. What do you guys see that you like, that could be improved on, or a different feature that you enjoy on collars that I could try in the future?

58877B01-4E74-4207-9445-B2C1FF2138FD.jpeg

For a first project, you are off to the races!  Looking fantastic.  Resolene should work for you, and on a painted surface probably best to spray on lightly.  Most dilute 50/50 with water with good results.

YinTx

1 hour ago, YinTx said:

For a first project, you are off to the races!  Looking fantastic.  Resolene should work for you, and on a painted surface probably best to spray on lightly.  Most dilute 50/50 with water with good results.

YinTx

Thank you so much!

With the resolene, that should coat the entire surface to protect the dye and the paint, correct? How many coats is typically best?

Also, should I cover the hardware with tape or something before spraying the resolene, or will it be fine to leave it bare?

Like Yintx said " you're off to the races." real good for first time. but may I suggest that in the future you might want to complete all your dying and finishing before you attach any and all hardware. maybe tape it with painters tape? on how many coates? sorry I can't help you on that. I have always applied it right out of the bottle with a dauber or sheeps wool. it seems this doesn't work for everybody. don't know if they changed the formula over the years. all I can do is suggest that you do one coat and see if you like it there or you feel it needs a second. or, you could take a scrap piece of strap, dye it similar and do the finish on that just to save you from doing the whole thing over. this is one of the reasons that you always save your scrap. lol..hope this helps.

Thats nice, Damn good
for a first project.

Edited by BlakesBlades

Looks awesome for your first piece! Keep it up!