Sign in to follow this  
ffjdh

Dip dying after tooling?

I’m working on some basic stamping and tooling.  The pieces are going to be black in the end.  The best luck I’ve had making things black is to dip dye them in a vinegaroon mix.  If I dip dye pieces after they have been stamped or tooled will I loose any of my imprint?  I find it easier to to stamp and tool before its black, but would it be better for me to dip dye the pieces first?

Ok, I will try and answer some of this, If the vinagaroon works for you instead of straight pro dye, stay with it. but you can always experiment with other dyes on scrap pieces. loosing some or all of your detail? that would in part depend on if you are stamping or tooling. on either one you will loose your contrast from the tooling and stamping{ burnishing} The is an old saying in Leatherworking " if you mess it up you can always dye it black"  I was told this back when I first started this. if this is a belt, I wouldn't worry that much. if you have a rounder or piece of scrap you could tool a flower on it or do a little of your stamping on it and do your dye and see if you like it, which is what it all boils down to. I don't know anybody that has dyed then tooled leather. personally I think you would have an issue of getting it wet enough and even saturation for tooling or stamping. and since you are mentioning pieces I will venture a guess and say it isn't a belt. well, maybe a ranger belt. so I hope this helps you some. some one  else will probably chime in that has possibly done this. 

Thanks for the information oleskiver!  I tinker around making firefighter stuff.  With the black dye I had a lot of rub off.  Also when it gets beat up you can see the natural leather color.  The vinegaroon has no rub off and penetrates deeply so I’ve stuck with that.  My latest endeavor has been to try stamping and tooling a helmet shield, which is just letters and numbers.