JamesRiley

"healing" a needle hole

I miscalculated the number of holes I needed and pre-stabbed some needle holes in a piece of leather.  Is there a magic trick for making those disappear, or at least become less obvious?  I'll be dark staining the whole piece.  They aren't really located where decorative stamping would go.  Thanks for any tips.

Edited by JamesRiley

1.are they along the line you'll be sewing? they'll go awol under saddle stitching

2. you can use a modelling tool to burnish the leather around them to press the surrounding leather in towards the hole to make it less visible. A little bit of water dropped into the hole will help make the hole close up as well

After you dark stain it and not sure if you are going to use any finish after staining it, rub Bees wax over it, won't disappear but will make it less obvious.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

Use some rough sandpaper on a piece of the same leather, collect the dust and plug the hole using some dry clear glue.

Thanks, folks.  I will give those ideas a shot.

If nothing else works, sew into that area as if it's what was supposed to happen in the first place, even if it's not actually doing anything.

Depending on the size of the hole and leather weight, you may be able to plug it with a leather 'thread'. Use a strip of leather from a stitch groover to thread needle. Pull it through the hole and trim it flush. I've used this on a saddle skirt and it blended in really well. You could find the mistake hole if you knew where to look.

Randy