OwenMcGrath

Swivel Knife Upgrade

For the past year, I've been playing around with Sheridan style carving. Indeed, this style of carving is rather ambitious but I'm getting more familiar with it and creating some pretty nice pieces. 

That being said, I feel as if my swivel knife is holding me back from progressing further with my works. I'm currently using an old Tandy craftool knife and looking for an upgrade. I've been looking online for a good, reasonably priced blade and I'm currently considering the Barry King knife and the higher-priced Leather Wranglers SK-B brass swivel knife.

I wanted to ask if the SK-B brass's 135$ price tag is justified or should I go with the budget friendly Barry King knife? 

that maybe the 1st time i have ever heard of a Barry King knife referred to as "budget friendly". i am by no means a greater carver but i have several sk, from basic craftool, craftool pro and a pro delux from Springfield. i don't really notice a difference between the really cheap sk and the bit more expensive sk. perhaps you'll find a large difference when you move up to BK or the Wranglers sk. please let us know your findings.

the biggest difference i found was between the blade shapes. I prefer the 1/4' angle blade over the straight blade. it seems to make turns much easier.

I use the B King and like it. To me, the most important thing with any knife is to have a sharp, polished blade...

As long as the barrel rotates freely and you have a good quality blade that will keep an edge, I'm not sure you'll see much difference.  You might try a knife with a different size barrel, saddle or one with more adjustment.  I have 2 Bks and a Clay Miller.  I keep different type blade in each one. 

Scootch

I have a lot of knives this is my all time favorite 

IMG_20201109_142625_712.jpg

I just made my own upgrade, not everyone has the capabilities however if you can find a small machine shop and tell them what you're after im sure they can make you something awesome for $60-$100

20210302_171133.jpg

A good quality sharp blade (1/4" angle for tight curves, 1/2" straight for long sweeping curves) right size barrel to fit your paws, comfortable yoke (not rolled almost sheet metal like old crafttools) and right height (length if you wish).  Look at some videos by Jim Linnell.  He uses a Tandy ergonomic SK.  More money gets you fancier barrels which don't make your carving any better.  Look at what the old masters used and the quality of work they did.  It is practice, practice, practice that makes good carvings, not expensive knives.

For your blade, go for ceramic and work on it until it is polished and sharp. 

Also watch the moisture content of your leather and use good quality leather.