Bant

Stitching Chisel Selection

I've been eyeing this set of stitching chisel's and have seen a set that I think would work, since I don't stitch all that often.

https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/catalog/item-detail/67-725/diamond-stitching-chisel-set/pr_62227/cp_/shop-now/hand-tools/hand-stitching-lacing/needles-awls-chisels

I also would appreciate thoughts regarding size selection. Thanks

Edited by Bant
Correcting error

what kind of products do you intend to make? i myself make wallets and i prefer 3mm spacing or 3.38 french style pricking irons but i also own a set of 5mm diamond pricking irons that i use on bigger projects because hand stitching takes alot of time so the smaller the spacing the more stitching you know....

for wallets and finer or higher end looking goods i would say go with the smaller spacing and thinner thread. for more rough and tuff holsters or belts go with the bigger spacing and thread. its a bit of trial and error until you find what you like. or just ask someone who makes similar items and ask what they use. most people are relatively helpful.

take care.

Do a little search on this site, you will see a lot off reviews on stitching chisels.  That style results in a bit of a chunky stitch and big hole, in my opinion.

YinTx

Yes, there are a number of threads on here about stitching chisels.  Those aren't too bad for beginners and/or those who don't need to stitch very often, which is what you indicated.  You can get a really nice stitch with those irons at the appropriate spacing and with the correct-sized thread.  You didn't mention thread, I don't think, but it is a vital part of the equation in good stitching results.  As stated, the closer stitch holes will be more appropriate for finer stuff.  

Weaver can also probably give you some feedback from their experience with the irons and what thread works well, etc.  

Also, if you are making thicker items, the lack of polish and those machine marks on those will make them a bit harder to pull out of the leather. That isn't necessarily a show stopper but it is something to consider. Once you get up around 9 oz and higher you'll be wishing for a mirror polish after a few inches or so worth of punching.

I have a set of these. Work great on small projects. (I don't hand sew often either) As mentioned above- not recommended for thicker projects. 

If you are looking for some that are similar and have polished edges all-around, the ones that Springfield Leather Co. now sells are just great.  I've been having a good time with them.  They come our of the leather much easier than some other irons I have that feature the grind marks.  I know they can be polished, or filed, but I haven't found the time.  I bought the 3mm, by the way and they are perfect for wallets and such.

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Craftmaster-3mm-Diamond-Point-Stitching-Chisel?page=1

3DPSC.Set.02.jpg?resizeid=22&resizeh=1200&resizew=1200

Thanx all for the feed back, now its time to follow your recomendations.  Again I appreciate the input.