TheHollerLW

Does anyone know about these snaps

I have a customer that just hooked up with Filson. So they sent me Filson's snaps. I have never seen this style before. 

I guess what i would be looking for is dies for my press, but I dont even see how you would had set these nor can I find hand setters for them.

Thanks

IMG_1303.jpg

I have some similar to that I picked up in a lot I bought on eBay a wile ago and have no idea how to set them either. Hopefully someone will come along with an answer. Mine are just sitting in a box of random parts I haven't had the heart to toss.

I would think just fold the prongs down, much the same as the tube in regular snaps. Maybe "start" them with a small screw driver, but finish with the same hand setter as normal.

I've got a bunch of these as well. The best use that I can come up with would be as 'spots' if that's the right term. They wouldn't exactly be ideal in that role since they would be fastened from near the center instead of at the edges like a true 'spot' would be. BUT, when you have lemons... (you make lemonade). I have decorated a guitar strap with them and that worked fine.

IMG_8923.thumb.jpeg.5f657085ba42f1ed7c815787bd1d629c.jpeg

IMG_8924.thumb.jpeg.7aab579fc4496304377c4878976582d8.jpeg

I did try assembling some snaps with them, just to see if it would work and it does sorta work, but not great. The prongs are difficult to bend over and the fact that the prongs are long makes them fill up the 'floor' of the socket which prevents the stud piece from mating all the way in.

IMG_8929.thumb.jpeg.17ee14ee35b7808f4d6333eb414a976d.jpeg

IMG_8928.thumb.jpeg.9bfe42b5f7e88bde034fa160026560df.jpeg

IMG_8926.jpeg

IMG_8925.jpeg